Study Night

At the scheduled time for her and Malfoy's study meeting, Hermione walked into the library to see Malfoy chatting with Shandra and John. Malfoy looked up as she approached. "Hey, Granger. Shandra plays basketball."

"Oh?" Hermione replied, wondering what his point was.

"Shandra can join us teaching the kids basketball."

"Oh," Hermione repeated, still not entirely enlightened.

"Shandra can bring Jordan who will then invite her muggle friends to join us," Malfoy said a little slowly. "So we can intermingle the purebloods with some muggle influence?"

"Oooh." Hermione turned to Shandra. "Daryn would let you take Jordan with you?"

Shandra inclined her head and popped a bubble in her gum. "I'm actually Jordan's step-aunt or something like that. Her Dad is my step-brother." Shandra shrugged. "I sometimes babysit but my side of the family isn't as close as his."

Hermione blinked and looked around the table for the other's responses to this new factoid. "None of you seemed surprised by this."

"Yeah, didn't you know?" John asked, tilting his chair back a little. "Wait... no, you don't. We talked about it when we planned your surprise party."

"Hmm," Hermione responded, trying to fight down the feeling of being left out. She glanced at her watch. "Has anyone started studying?"

"What, exactly, was your agenda, Granger?"

Hermione gave Malfoy a look. "You didn't have to agree to this Malfoy."

"But yet, I did." Malfoy leaned back and tucked his arms behind his head. "So, please, let me know what was so important that I interrupted my day for you."

Hermione quirked an eyebrow at him and yanked out her time table with lists of what needed to be done and when. She took the few steps towards and Malfoy and shoved it into his chest. At the sudden force, Malfoy grabbed her arm to keep from falling. Hermione pulled at his grip but he didn't release it.

"Hmm..." Malfoy glanced over the sheet. "Signum Vitalis? You really think that's what we should be focusing on? There is going to be a test on the new healing spells next week."

Hermione snatched it back with her free hand, tearing it a little. "Signum Vitalis is the spell that guides you to which spell to use. If you don't understand the inherent magical disorder behind the imbalance, how do you expect to properly use a spell meant to correct that ailment?"

Malfoy tilted his head to the side. "We practice the healing spells too and you've won me over."

Hermione smiled and looked over to the other two, but Shandra was already reading something and occasionally muttering about it and John was completely entranced by her mouth.

"Erm..." Hermione turned back to Malfoy, who merely smirked.

"Poor kid."

Hermione bit her lip as she leaned a little closer and asked, "When did this happen?"

Malfoy shrugged. "Beats me. Not the type to document my friends' love lives."

Hermione raised her eyebrows again but returned to her seat.

"Now, the spell," Hermione started but was distracted when Malfoy pulled out his wand and pointed it towards her. "Erm..." she trailed off and tried to swallow against the sudden dryness in her mouth.

His wand hand tiled downwards as he rested it against the desk to brace him as he leaned towards her. "Granger?"

"It's- It's nothing."