Last Moment

Chapter Twenty

Its been a few weeks since the club incident and learning about Osiah's involvement in my brother's death. My twin cousins left to go back home the morning we left for Bora Bora, but I've been talking to them almost every day. The vacation with my parents was nice and well needed, but we had to cut the vacation short and return a few days ago. My father's job demanded his attention and I kept getting sick.

My right leg shakes as I allow seconds to turn into minutes and my heart pounds against my chest at a rapid pace. I stand up from the closed toilet seat, before running the palm of my sweaty hands across my grey sweats. I close my eyes and take a deep breath as I slowly approach the white and blue marble-tiled countertop, before opening them and picking up the small white stick that could change my life forever.

I stare at the Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test and my heart falls to the pit of my stomach as I reread the results.

Pregnant.

The word seems to scream out at me, taunting me with the reality of the situation. I'm pregnant with Jalen's baby, the son of the man that ruined my life. A small part of me is happy because regardless of everything that's happened between us, I really do love Jalen. I continue to stare at the results until I can hear the sound of footsteps approaching the bathroom that's adjoined with my bedroom.

"Thea?" Monica knocks on the door and I quickly place the pregnancy test in the nearest drawer, before unlocking and opening the door.

"Yeah?"

"Hey," she looks me over, "you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Wassup?"

She eyes me suspiciously, before holding up a gorgeous black close-fitting dress that has a very deep v-cut neckline and appears that it'll stop just above her knees. Her beautiful skin is makeup-free, despite the shimmering lipgloss that coats her full lips. Her naturally curly hair is pulled up into a high ponytail, but there are a few strands that are left out. Although Monica is in her mid-forties, you'd mistake her to be in her late-twenties. She's undeniably breathtaking with her flawless caramel skin and perfect physique.

I'm more than proud to say I got a lot of my looks from her, although my father is handsome.

"Should I wear this?"

It's their 15th wedding anniversary and Avery is taking her out somewhere special. These past few weeks he's been around a lot more and I can tell that it's been making her happy, she's been smiling since our vacation.

"Yes," I smile at her, "you look so pretty."

"Thank you so much," she smiles back at me, before making her way out of the room to get dressed.

"You two won't be back until tomorrow?" I ask as I follow closely behind her.

"Yeah. Avery wants some time alone and I don't wanna miss out on that, who knows when I'll stop getting this much attention from him?"

"Yeah, I understand. You don't mind if I have a few people over, right?"

"No," she glances at me, "not at all. Who do you wanna invite?"