The Commencement

Chapter Four

The sound of my phone vibrating loudly against the nightstand causes me to jump up out of my sleep.  I sit up in bed before reaching over and retrieving it.  I quickly answer when I notice that it's Sydney calling.

"Hello?"  I answer the phone.

"Thea?  I hope I'm not bothering you."

"You aren't," I answer as I remove the comforter from around me, "wassup?"

"I just wanted to tell you that Lucky isn't dead.  Demarcus shot him and left him, but he was somehow able to make it to my house.  He's in the hospital and he just got out of surgery."

I can feel my heart mending together as relief washes over me.

"How is he?"

"The surgery was successful.  They're saying he'll be fine, but they want to keep him for a while.  He wants to see you, should I text you the address to the hospital?"

"Yes," I respond quickly and we hang up after exchanging goodbyes.

I climb out of the bed before making it up neatly and walking towards my suitcase.  I lay it down on the floor, unzipping it and rummaging through for an outfit to wear.  I grab my skintight black and baby blue zipper romper and baby blue lace Fenty underwear.  I brush my teeth and wash my face before taking a quick shower and getting dressed.  After placing my hair in a neat bun and pulling on my socks and black Huaraches, I grab my phone and exit the room. 

I decide to take the long spiral staircase downstairs and the aroma of breakfast meets me at the bottom of them.  I make my way into the enormous kitchen, admiring its capacity and simple yet elegant decorations.  I climb into a stool that's placed in front of the black and cream colored marble island, which is located in the middle of the kitchen.  I watch as Jalen stands in front of the stove, expertly flipping a few pancakes over.  I admire his muscular physique from behind, he is truly God's creation.  The epitome of male beauty.

"Good morning," I say, making my presence known and he turns towards me, flashing me a bright smile that makes the kitchen appear ten times lighter.  I can't help but smile back.

"Good morning.  I figured you'd be hungry since you didn't eat last night," he says as he places the finished pancakes on two plates.

"I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"It's alright.  Did you sleep good?  You seem better and I like your outfit."

"I slept better than I've ever slept before, that bed is so comfortable.  And thank you, I like yours too," I respond.  Jalen is wearing an all white Championship sweatshirt with matching white sweats.

"Good.  You're welcome and thank you," he places a plate in front of me that consists of pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and a hash brown.  He also places a bowl of fresh fruit and a glass of orange juice in front of me.

"Thank you."

He nods before sitting in the stool next to me with his food and drink in front of him.  I fold my hands together before bowing my head and closing my eyes, saying a quick prayer.

"Amen," I say quietly and I can feel Jalen's eyes on me.  I look up to see him smiling at me.  He quickly turns his attention back to his food and we both start to eat.