Retaliation

Chapter Ten

"We've been shopping for this trip all damn day," Akira lets out a sigh as we settle into a booth.

"Girl, we're going to Jamaica for an entire week," Dani says excitedly, "we need three outfits for each day."

"Three outfits?"  Akira scrunches up her face.

"For breakfast, lunch, and dinner," Dani answers, causing us to laugh.

We've been shopping at the South Coast Plaza mall since this morning and it's now the afternoon.  I'm not complaining though, because we ended up getting a lot of good outfits and swimming suits.  I even got a few heels and accessories.  I feel my phone vibrate in the back pocket of my jeans, so I retrieve it to see a message from Jalen.

hakeem, ❤️. :   where y'all at?
12:06 PM

I quickly type a response.

just left the mall, at applebee's. 
you want anything?
12:07 PM

hakeem, ❤️. :   damn, y'all was there forever.
but, nah.. i just ate.
12:07 PM

ate what?
12:08 PM

hakeem, ❤️. :   madukes cooked me up some tacos, if you must know.
12:09 PM

bring me some home and
tell mom i said hi and i miss her.
12:11 PM

"What time does that party start?"  Akira asks.

"Ten," Dani answers as the waitress comes to our table.

"Hi, I'm Ariel and I'll be your waitress for today.  Can I start you ladies off with anything to drink?"

"I'll take a sweet tea," Akira orders while looking over the menu.

"Lemonade," I answer and Dani orders the same thing.

My phone vibrates again with a message from Jalen.

hakeem, ❤️. :   ain't yo fat ass bout to eat?  and she said hey, she miss you too.
12:15 PM

okay, but i want her food. 
i won't be home until late though, we gone be hanging out at Dani's tonight.
12:16 PM

I feel bad about lying, but if I tell him what we're really going to be doing he'd talk me out of it.

hakeem, ❤️. :   iight, just let me know when y'all make it there.  have fun, but not too much fun shorty.
12:17 PM

okay, ugly.
12:17 PM

I put my phone away as the waitress returns with our drinks.  We place our orders, before engaging in conversations about work, our relationships, and our excitement for the trip to Jamaica.  Dani's the most excited though, considering that we're going to celebrate her birthday.  Our food arrives moments later and we enjoy our meals while continuing to make conversation.

After about two hours, we finally finish and leave the restaurant after paying and leaving Ariel a generous tip.

"I lowkey want my nails a different color," Akira says as she examines her nails, they're a bright yellow color.

"Let's go to the nail salon then," I suggest, "I need my toes redone anyway."

"I could use a new color too," Dani says as we make our way towards her car, "why didn't Fatima come? Wasn't she supposed to meet us at the mall?"