Family

Chapter Five

"It's so good to see you again," Lianne says as she pulls me into a hug.  I immediately hug back, welcoming her warmth and sweet perfume.

"It's good to see you too," I respond while smiling as I walk into the mansion that belongs to Jalen's parents.  It's huge and welcoming, just like his.

"Where's Pops at?"  Jalen asks her and she waves her hand towards a long hallway.

"In his office.  He's on a business call, but he'll be out when he's done."

"Iight, ain't Siah here?"

"Yeah, he's in the game room," Lianne answers.

"Bet," Jalen dismisses himself and I watch after him as he disappears down the hallway.

"I'm cooking dinner.  You wanna come help me?"

"I'd love to," I answer and she smiles at me while leading the way into the kitchen.

Just like the rest of the house, the kitchen is enormous and nicely decorated.  There's a beautiful cream colored island planted in the middle with a beautiful blue and cream marble countertop.  There's a mesmerizing chandelier hanging above the island, giving the kitchen a certain elegance to it.  Even the floor is the color of cream and blue marble, making me hesitant of stepping on it with my Fenty slides on.

"I'ma take my slides off," I tell Lianne and she nods at me before opening the refrigerator.

I quickly make my way back into the front room, removing my slides and setting them near the front door.  I hear a door closing down the hallway, followed by footsteps and I watch as a tall and muscular man appears.  He's wearing a plain black t-shirt that hugs his muscles and matching black sweatpants.  He resembles Jalen a lot, but his beard and hair are decorated with hints of grey and he's wearing reading glasses.

"You must be Thea," he says as he reaches his hand out towards me.

"You must be Pops," I respond back as I exchange handshakes with him and he laughs a little while nodding.

"You look very familiar," he squints while taking me in and I feel small underneath his intense gaze, "you look like someone I know."

"I thought I heard you in here," Lianne says as she walks towards her husband.  He instantly wraps his arms around her and they share a kiss.

"You're in here stealing Thea away from me," she declares once they pull away from their kiss.

"I was just telling her she looks like someone we know.  You remember Monica, right?  Romelo's wife."

Lianne's eyes takes me in and she nods in agreement.

"She does," she comments, "you ready, Thea?"

"Yeah.  It was nice meeting you," I smile at Jalen's dad before following his mom back into the kitchen.

"We're making fried chicken, mac and cheese, cornbread and greens."

"Sounds good," I say as I wash my hands in the sink before drying them off with a paper towel.  I dispose of the used napkin before walking towards her.