↳ CHAPTER EIGHT

FOR SOMEONE WHOSE interests revolved mostly around the undead, for someone who dabbled in a variety of dangerous topics, Freja sure was one of those people who never expected to be caught in harm's way, who never expected their own loved ...

FOR SOMEONE WHOSE interests revolved mostly around the undead, for someone who dabbled in a variety of dangerous topics, Freja sure was one of those people who never expected to be caught in harm's way, who never expected their own loved ones to go through something tragic. Maybe that was why it was difficult to comprehend that Holly White truly was gone, her wild ideas and cheery smile only a memory that would undoubtedly fade over time — but it did make Freja wonder what would be left of her when her demise would be timely. Her research, sure, but was that how people were destined to remember her? The rambling daydreamer focusing more on the impossible than the possible, building her life around what-ifs and crazy theories.

Then again, maybe she'd be remembered as the person who proved zombies to be real and achieved a peaceful coexistence between them and humans.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Elliot's voice intervened with her train of thought, and with a sigh, Freja tore her stare away from the house waiting at the end of the street and turned to her brother behind the wheel with an affirming smile. The concerned look in his eyes suggested that he didn't really believe her, however, so Freja added in a nod and reached out to pat Elliot's knee comfortingly.

"As okay as one can be when heading to a wake. It's just weird, you know?" Freja drew in a deep inhale, her eyes casting another look at the house blessed with silence but enough tension to confirm that they were at the right place — if the lights shining onto the yard weren't enough, then the group of melancholic people wandering inside, all dressed in black, was. Freja didn't really differ, as she was wrapped in the same dark color that she usually strayed from, and her usual light smile was nowhere to be seen, either. "Everyone's remembering her as this kickass risk-taker who was always on some kind of adventures. I guess I'm kinda wondering what people will think of me when I'm gone", she admitted then, facing Elliot with hesitance only for him to immediately chuckle and lean over to poke at her arm.

"You will definitely be remembered as the optimist who always went after her dreams and didn't let anyone hold her back", he announced proudly, but before Freja's lips could curve too high, he continued, "I'm going to remind everyone what an annoying brat you were, though. You never listen, you always tattled on me, you—", his rant only cut off when the woman punched his shoulder.

"And you're going to be remembered as the bragging overachiever who never let me sit in the front seat", Freja retorted back, only for Elliot to scoff and gesture at their current position — her in the passenger seat and him graciously giving his only sister a ride to a former friend's wake. "Also, you listen to crap music. What is this, anyway? I swear you have not once used this station before", Freja proceeded to judge, her fingers already heading for the buttons on his radio but Elliot intervened by slapping her hands away and gesturing towards the door.

"Okay, okay, you know what? I'm experimenting. And you're stalling. Your friends are there, you're going to be okay", Elliot reminded with a stern tone, reaching over Freja enough to open her door for her and then make a curt nod at the pavement. "Give me a call if you need a ride back home, alright?" Even with the annoyed tone, he couldn't stop the affection from bleeding in, and unsure whether she wanted to hug or smack him, Freja simply rolled her eyes and leaped out of the car, her ballerinas clicking against the asphalt and her skirt already wrinkled.