↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

FREJA COULDN'T BREATHE

        FREJA COULDN'T BREATHE. Whatever question or scream or cry threatened to pass her lips only grumbled in her throat, her stomach making flips as she stared at the coolers in front of her, her mind instantly pinning the sight to Blaine's fridge. In a way, she already knew what to expect, but her shaky hands still reached for one of them and quietly unzipped the package, her heart telling her not to look but her eyes still refusing to look away as she peeked in.

        In the world where she had been overwhelmed with the break-in at Major and Ravi's place, being hospitalized by the Candyman, facing Lowell's death, saying goodbye to Major and hearing about Max Rager from Liv, everything narrowed down to this one moment — Freja staring at the see-through containers carrying what looked like innocent delivery food at first, but upon further inspection turned out to be brains. Nothing else mattered, and all she could wonder in her pounding head if she was the idiot, or Elliot.

         "Earth to Freja", the man's voice startled her out of her thoughts, and with her heart leaping in her chest, Freja scrambled to shove the packages back into the fridge before turning to Elliot with wide, horrified eyes — not because she saw him as some kind of monster now, but because all this time, he had known the truth and yet, let her believe she was all alone in her belief in the supernatural. "I think you should lie down, you look like you've seen a ghost."

          When Elliot stepped over to her, a supportive hand reaching for her arm, she flinched back, a refusing look burning bright in her eyes as she huffed out a heavy breath. Slowly but surely, things started to make sense, from his unexplained suspicion of Freja's date with the guy he had only known as the owner of Meat Cute, to his sudden friendship with Lowell, and the more the details began to click in, the more incredulous Freja's face twisted.

         "More like a zombie", she corrected Elliot, disbelief written all over her expression as she stared at him from across the island, unable to stop her heart from pumping betrayal into her system. She should have been happy, excited, yet she was just disappointed. "And we both know this has nothing to do with my research. You're a zombie, aren't you?" Freja chuckled darkly, amusement nowhere near her voice as she gestured at the fridge, "or are you just babysitting those brains for Blaine?"

        The color drained from Elliot's face, and concluding from the ashamed look he glanced at his feet with, he wasn't even going to try and deny it. "You should stay away from him", was all that he bothered to offer for comfort, his tone emptied from its usual defiance, arms meekly crossing over his chest as he shrugged.

         "Yeah, I know. He killed Lowell. And all those missing kids, who, by the way, are probably sitting in your fridge right now", Freja ranted, frustration bleeding into her voice as she finally stalked around the countertops and slapped Elliot's arm without remorse. "How could you not tell me? I was right and you just sat by and let me make a fool of myself trying to convince everyone", she cried out, desperate and angry as she glared up at him — maybe it was a risk, arguing with a zombie, but that wasn't going to cut it as an excuse for her not to lay into him.