↳ CHAPTER ELEVEN

THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT and as soon as she had woken up, Matilda had made it her mission to sway Freja's mind, convince her to cancel the date she had agreed on with Blaine in a moment of spontaneity — a concept which Freja had always had a viv...

THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT and as soon as she had woken up, Matilda had made it her mission to sway Freja's mind, convince her to cancel the date she had agreed on with Blaine in a moment of spontaneity — a concept which Freja had always had a vivid grasp of, but she had never been foolish, yet not one word from Matilda's mouth had even jabbed at the tenacity that only gained power by morning.

"I'm not letting you leave this apartment if that's what it takes", Matilda announced nonchalantly from the kitchen counter while sipping on her coffee, her glare stuck on Freja who was lounging on the couch and watching The Simpsons reruns as if she didn't have plans to go out with a potential kidnapper, drug dealer, murderer or all of the above, on the very same evening. "I want to find the kids too but this is not the way to go about it. Do you really think he'll take you straight to them? Or better yet, personally hand you what you need to prove he's Seattle's new big bad?"

Looking at Matilda from under her glasses and shaking her head at the woman's mockery, Freja sighed but didn't blame the worry — instead, she made it her mission to melt it away. "I'll text you regularly so you'll know what's going on and I'll skedaddle early. Besides, I don't think I really fit the homeless kid criteria", she reminded with a calm tone, surprising mostly herself with the lack of anxiety building in her stomach as she watched Matilda fidget with plenty of it on her behalf.

Grabbing her mug from the counter, the Dean was headed for the couch but a knock on the front door encouraged her to spin into another direction, instead. "That's a good point, I guess. Make talk of your family and friends so he knows someone would look for you if you went missing. Those kids, as much as I hate to say, they necessarily don't have anyone", Matilda called out from the hallway, the detective in her sticking out as if Freja was intending on going undercover. Perhaps, in a way, she was.

"Except for one Major Lilywhite", Freja countered with a sad mumble, one that went unheard when Matilda swung the door open and greeted someone cheerily, the previous grumpiness long gone. Without even shooting a look in the foyer, Freja suspected Elliot to be waltzing inside with breakfast in hand, even after she had insisted that there was no need — and accordingly, her best friend soon reappeared in the living room with her brother at her heel.

"Would you please tell your darling sister that she can't go on a date with a criminal?" Matilda was quick to hop back onto the topic she had hardly abandoned, her lips quirking in a bitter smile that she flashed at Freja while gesturing between her and Elliot. The latter, however, completely ignored the mention of a criminal but leaped into life at the mention of a date.

"You're going on a date? When? Who is it? How did you meet?" he listed all the questions that popped up in his head, completely disregarding Freja's attempt to watch TV as he skipped across the soft rug and slumped right next to her on the couch after tossing a bag of bagels onto the cushions. "Is it like, a casual date or should I start sending you photos of venues I saw with Julian?" he proceeded with a giddy grin spreading across his face, and hasty to dismiss the enthusiasm with a wave of her hand, Freja scoffed.