↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

KNOWING ABOUT ZOMBIES was drastically different from witnessing the capabilities of said creatures — that was the conclusion Freja had come to by the time she was watching Liv climb up the drainpipe attached to the apartment building they had...

    KNOWING ABOUT ZOMBIES was drastically different from witnessing the capabilities of said creatures — that was the conclusion Freja had come to by the time she was watching Liv climb up the drainpipe attached to the apartment building they had tracked with Scott E's laptop. With the man's phone number already in Freja's own phone, all they needed to do was make their way into the apartment and call the digits to locate the device and find the infamous video, and while she had suspected that only the first part of the plan would be their downfall, Liv was already proving her wrong.

"I know I'm being kinda useless right now but you go girl!" Freja cheered from the stairwell while she fidgeted in preparation, arms wide open in case Liv was to lose her footing and come down screaming, but the grin on her lips was as much genuine as it was impressed. There was a thin line of magnificence between the scary full-on zombie mode and the bleak reality of eating brains for sustenance, and she had zero doubts that this was it, the not-so-effortless but still skillful climbing towards the snug window at the top of the building where Liv intended to slip through. "You're like Spider-Man!"

With a snort, Liv went through the effort of shooting Freja a look before nudging the window open. "If Spider-Man was a tiny zombie woman, sure", she retorted, all the while slinging a leg through the window and inching further away from the drainpipe. "Besides, you're not useless. You found the laptop, and thanks to you, we're gonna find the phone, too. And I'm kinda digging this partners-in-whatever-we're-doing thing", she pointed out, and after managing to direct a wide smile at Freja, the Moore disappeared through the window and landed on the other side of the wall with a thud.

Clapping her hands together, Freja trailed closer to the door, and only when Liv unlocked it from inside and met her at the front, the Barrett flashed a smile of her own. "Me too", she replied casually while following her lead across the doorstep, sort of relieved that Liv hadn't mentioned the word crime, although that was essentially what they were doing. But she hoped that their good intentions would outweigh the illegal aspect of their clever plotting. The idea of breaking into someone else's house when she had just survived the same did plant something uncomfortable in the back of her head, though, but she found relief in the facts — they weren't there with murder in mind, and they were positive the apartment was deserted.

Accordingly, the quaint place best described as a bachelor pad was enveloped in thick silence as Freja dug out her phone and called Scott E's number, the one that she hadn't used in forever. Their aimless wandering around the old carpeting didn't do much to help, and neither did Liv's jabs at the imaginary Johnny Frost, but when the bathroom finally echoed with familiar rings, both women headed straight for the door with victorious looks crossing their faces together.

"It's gotta be here", Liv stated the obvious, her eyebrows furrowed as she let the ringing lead her to the toilet. Without a question, she removed the top of the toilet, allowing the ringtone to play even louder in the room, and once Liv gave Freja a relieved smile, the Barrett hung up and shoved her phone back into her pocket. "Bingo", Liv sighed happily, not even bothered by having to dig through the Ziploc bag that had spent all this time in the toilet.