47. An eye for an eye

Maeve

Andrei continued to walk through the compound, me in tow. "Andrei, I advise staying indoors," I said, surprised at my reasoning. I supposed that the sceptre made sure that Andrei's best interests were also mine, and that meant keeping him alive. " In the open, there is a greater chance of the Avengers finding you."

He turned around, almost as if he was expecting me to say that. " Are you saying that the Avengers are coming now?"

" There is a chance that they might. Dimochka even said it"

" Don't question me again. I know what I'm doing" he almost snarled. " Do you see any Avengers around here?"

" No"

" Exactly. The Avengers are so presumptuous that I wouldn't put it past them to arrive in the open"

He grabbed my arm and steered me towards the metal house anyway, perhaps deciding that I was right. I would have flinched at the pressure of his fingers jutting into my forearm, but my body followed him, like an obedient child.

Carlos Nixen came past again, weapons covering every inch of his body. Looked like he took Andrei's comment about him looking like a rookie to heart. He glanced at us, furrowing his eyebrows, a flash of something like anger in his eyes. But there was something about him...

There were twin bades on his back, guns at his sides, and a plethora of knives dotting his legs. Full to the brim with weapons, it seemed. But the way he walked, the way he held himself... something stirred in my gut.

It was Loki.

And I knew because I was the damn person that taught him to walk like that. How to strut without telling everyone that you were Loki. How to hold himself tall but not hold his chin too high, or tense his muscles too much. I would have smiled, would have laughed, would have rejoiced.

But I knew that Loki was better off dead. I was going to kill him, quickly. And then walk away like nothing had happened.

Loki- I thought.

But my body didn't follow my mind, stepping in front of Andrei, who ran inside the building, perhaps to rally some men to barricade the place. Maeve, I thought you'd be controlled. he thought to me.

Not my mind

My mouth twitched into a smirk, and before even I could register, I had thrown an ice dagger at Loki, to distract him while I ran full speed towards him, flipping and kicking him in the head. A green flash and he was back to the old Loki.

Sorry, I thought, but he must have been too busy trying to defend himself to answer.

He was too fast, parrying my dagger with one of his own, jumping out the way and pointing his hands to the dirt beneath my feet.

A flash of green energy appeared, and I started sinking, the ground turning to sinking sand. Damn, even in my controlled self, I never knew he had these powers. The powers of trickery, I supposed.

I jumped out and froze the ground beneath me, causing Loki to slip slightly, while I launched onto him, out of the ground and stabbed his shoulder with an icicle.

He groaned, and I leapt off him, making a ball of fire to launch at him. The icicle hadn't gone too deep, thank the gods, but still, he pulled it out, and blood coated the clear dagger.

The fireball hit a wall of green, bouncing off, and redirecting it at of group of Andrei's men, who had started to regroup, bringing weapons with them. But soon after, they ran away, not only afraid of Loki, I realised, but also me.