Chapter 14

Roman's POV

I woke up to squirming, though I couldn't say I was fully conscious.  I loosened my grip on Raven, though he didn't try to get up.

Images flashed in my mind of a snake—massive in size.  I was terrified, though it felt... foreign, like it wasn't actually my fear.

I grabbed ahold of Raven and began shaking him.  "Raven."

The snake recoiled, letting out an almost human sound.

I could only see between flashes but I shook him harder.  "Raven!"

He jumped up and the images stopped.  He fell off the couch.  I saw his eyes—a deep, impossibly bright purple.  I'd never seen them so bright.  "Janus," he whispered.

I looked at him, taking into account his breathing and the fact that his body shook constantly.  "Raven, what's going on?"

"I—"  He shook his head.

I slid off the couch to kneel in front of him.  "Who's Janus?"  I tried to focus him by touching his shoulder.

Raven finally met my gaze, his brows furrowed.  "I, um...  I-I-I have n-no idea..."  It was clear he was lying.

I saw the snake again.  I jumped back at the sight, though it was gone in a second.  "Why do I keep seeing a snake?"

He stared at me, clearly trying to read my expression.  His jaw clenched, then released.  "What exactly did you see?"  When I didn't respond, he grabbed my hand almost aggressively.  "What did you see, Prince?" he pressed.

Jeez...  I took a deep breath.  "Just a snake..."

He sighed, relaxing finally.

I hated to stress him further, but I had to ask, "Raven—"

"I hate that name."  He shook his head.  "I'm not that person anymore."

I kissed his cheek, his jaw, his lips, trying desperately for him to calm down.  "Who's Janus really?"  I pulled him into my lap, beginning to play with his hair.

His head fell upon my shoulder.  "I mentioned the, um... prison, remember?  Well, I-I visit there once a month.  Janus, he's a shapeshifter.  One day—that day—two years ago, he decided to become Deceit."

"You knew him before that?"

He scoffed, then nodded.

"Is he the reason you...?"

He sniffed.  "Yeah.  He's the reason I lost my shit."