Ch. 6 Feelings

It had been a few days since the clan demonstrated their powers. My ankle had healed up, only a a few scars in the place of cuts. Soon, those might be gone as well. I was laying in bed, cuddling the down comforter as I listened to Helena's soft snoring in the bed across from me. Things are becoming more and more familiar and I was starting to develop a routine here. I was bonding with the rest of the clan members, minus Simon. I hadn't seen him in a few days but that was per the norm, apparently. Benjamin had finally come out of his shell a little more and the rest of the clan was as crazy as I thought they'd be. I found I was closest to Victor and Felix aside from Rowan and of course, Helena, as always. The rest were just as much family though. I glanced at my phone, it was 1 o'clock in the morning. I sighed dropping it back onto the bed. I was supposed to start training later in the day and I could not get any sleep.
I sat up in bed and glanced at my phone again. I had no clue what the point was in having it anymore. I rarely got on social media anymore and no one ever texted me. It was just as well, I hadn't needed anyone back home after all. So easily, I just disappeared from everyone's lives and their lives just continued. At least I mattered to the ones who mattered to me. I smiled, looking over to Helena. Still, I wondered how my mother was. I grasped the locket at my breast, staring at my phone and willing her to call. I had hoped I'd hear from her soon. Helena's mom called every now and then for updates on her "vacation". In a few weeks, she would have to tell her mother that she wouldn't be going back. I'd let her go if she wanted to. Even though I hoped she'd stay.
My mind worked overtime flitting from one thought to another. I finally looked at my phone again, 2 o'clock in the morning. I huffed  lightly and threw myself back against the pillows. I was never going to get any sleep. Rubbing my face, I decided it was time for a small walk in the gardens. I got out of bed, straightening my over sized sweater and pulled on my sweat pants. Shoving my feet into my slippers, I made my way to the door. I cautiously glanced back at Helena as I opened the door a crack and slipped out silently. Down the hall, I could hear Rowan's loud snore coming from his door. I slapped a hand to my mouth, stifling a laugh. It came out in small snorts and I walked quickly to the stairs. Finally the laughter stopped and I was able to breathe. Taking a deep breath, I made my way down the stair and out to the gardens.
Stepping out into the dewy, night air, I was once again greeted by the sweet smells of the flowers. My mind relaxed a little with the smell. Making my way toward the hammock, I spotted the pool glowing just at the rear of the gardens. Squinting my eyes, I could make out frost around the edges of the pool and bits of ice swimming around. Bypassing the hammock under the gazebo, I made a beeline for the pool.
I looked around, my eyes following cool vapors dissipating into the air. On the far corner of the pool I spotted Simon, surrounded by ice. He was supporting himself on the edge of the pool, resting his head on his arms. His black hair was wet and plastered against his skin. He had a blue fin along his bare back and I noticed he maintained the tail-fin of his lower half. The ice blue scales formed from the tail-fin, up his tail and tapered off into the human flesh at his back. I could swear he was a merman.

"I know you're there, little queen." He said lazily.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked, taking a seat on one of the loungers near the pool. I wouldn't make the mistake of touching the water again. At least not anywhere near him.

"The pond gets lonely sometimes." He sighed. He pushed off the edge of the pool, swimming backwards. Ice fragments swirled around him as he did.

"There's no one out here." I noted.

"There's you, now." He said. "I knew someone would come eventually."

"So why wouldn't you go inside?" I asked, curiously.

"I'm just not used to that sort of thing." Simon sighed dramatically. "Feeling boxed in. Plus, I know they only tolerate me."

"I guess I can understand that." I said.