Ch.1 Dear Heart

I picked at the fries on my plate as my best friend and boyfriend chattered on about classes. I wasn't exactly hungry. Actually, I was too excited to be hungry. Summer break started tomorrow and when we returned I was going to be a Sophomore in college. Ultimately, however, I was ready to plan vacation. I groaned exaggeratedly and flicked a fry at Michael's head missing by an inch. He glanced at me with a smirk.

"Okay, nerds. Time to plan vacation." I said glancing between them. Michael was beside me while Helena was across the table from us. "I say we go to the beach. Weather is perfect, and we can have some romantic walks." 

I emphasized the romantic part as I bumped Michael with my shoulder and leaned into him. He chuckled and shifted uncomfortably. I frowned lightly and straightened up but shrugged it off.  Maybe he's just nervous about his grades?  I thought.

I went back to picking at my fries and found a perfectly crunchy one to nibble on. I continued looking between them expectantly, raising a brow. Helena finally bit, swallowing her bite of salad and setting down her fork. 

"I think the beach is a great idea. I was planning on working for some extra money, though so maybe just a short trip?" She said, an apologetic tone in her voice. "I'm sure you guys will have fun without me, though." 

She, too shifted uncomfortably. I picked up another crunchy fry and chewed it thoughtfully. I took turns watching them from under my eye lashes. Neither of them quite looked up from there plates. An unsettling air settled over the particularly sunny commons area. Not a cloud to be seen and the sky was endlessly blue. Yet you would think it was a gloomy day with these faces I was seeing.

"Okay guys, what's up?" I said insistently. "You'd think something horrible happened between us with these faces. Do you just not want a vacation

They glanced at each other awkwardly. Helena blushed lightly and huffed at her salad. Somehow, her head hung even lower. Michael managed to polish off his hamburger and rushed to stand up. He all but knocked the table over as he stood and picked up his tray. 

"I've got to get to my next class a little early. Professor has an important announcement or something." He said with his mouth full. All but choking on his unchewed hamburger. 

His brown eyes glimmered, seeming to water. He stormed away, running his fingers through his long hair. I watched his tall, muscled, form as he put his tray down and busted through the hallway doors. I gave an exasperated sigh and threw my attention to Helena.

"Now that I've got you alone, are you going to storm off as well?" I raised a brow at her and leaned my elbows onto the concrete table.

She blushed deeper and shot me her gaze to me. My breath caught in my throat at the unexpected look on her face. A hint of panic had shown in her eyes. 

"Helena...?" I said. I didn't exactly know what to ask. I reached my hand out to touch hers and she moved her hand to her lap. Her cauliflower blue eyes glittered as tears started to form and her black waves of hair fell into her face as she looked away.

"Adika, now's not the time okay? Maybe when things are more private." She said with an exaggerated softness.

She wiped her eyes and gathered herself in a shaky, drawled out, sigh. Smiling at me she picked up her carton of milk. My mouth watered as she gulped it down. My mother never let me have milk, always said I was highly allergic to it. Lactose Intolerance really sucked. Reading labels like it was my job, smelling pizza and never having a slice. It smelled so good and the substitute cheese never sufficed.

I recalled a day as a little girl when I had snuck a scoop of ice cream at a birthday party for my cousin. My mother had eyes like a hawk and ran to me, knocking the bowl out of my hand with full force. I could still feel the sharp pain of it in my arm. Her panicked eyes looking around at the other parents and scooping me up and leaving so suddenly.