because

He knew he loved Aziraphale, be it as a friend, a lover, he really didn't care whatever word was supposed to fit the definition; there were no one earthly human word to describe the very strange and rebellious relationship they've been carrying on for 6,000 years. But he didn't know he loved him so f*cking much that the touch of his hand was enough to make a supernatural being in disguise jump out of her skin and become so flustered that she couldn't even try to hide what was true: Aziraphale is loved.

By a few people he had helped along the way and by even fewer grateful customers, but most of all, he was loved by a demon. A being not even allowed to be capable of love, that couldn't help but love him anyway. Because how could anyone not love a being so kind and unique? Crowley sure as Hel--Heav--Crowley did not know. He could not understand how such a task like not loving Aziraphale was ever expected of him. As far as Crowley was concerned, Aziraphale could bring love into a creature incapable of possessing a heart.

And now, he could lose the only other person who could ever understand him. It was one thing to do favors for one another. It was one thing to be just a bit nicer to him than he was most. But if Aziraphale were to realize how much Crowley really loved him? Well, it would be embarrassing how much he does so, sure. But Crowley knows that if someone thought about him the way he does Aziraphale, he'd be so completely rubbed the wrong way and weirded out at the near-obsession his love is considered, had he not already felt the exact same way in return. Crowley was also worried, that if Aziraphale knew a demon loved him, he would think he was doing the wrong thing. And to think he was doing the wrong thing, and for so long! It would crush him. For Crowley to imagine Aziraphale crushed hurt him in ways he didn't know demons could hurt. Furthermore, to imagine Crowley as the source for Aziraphale's pain, Crowley knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself like that.