so

He ponders this for the rest of his walk to the bookshop, and his brain can't seem to let go of it. He thought about it when he organized shelves, he thought about it when he made a cup of tea, and even once he had opened up one of his favorite classic books, he just couldn't seem to get into it, as his mind would not stop swimming. Loved? But it's my job to love others! And there have not simply been enough people in the world kind enough to get along with me for them to possibly even love me. Not so much that it may surprise an angel.

It is then that Crowley shows up a little early at the shop, meeting Aziraphale for dinner, as they've been having more of those together since the Armageddon't. Yet despite showing up in a new jacket and shoes, his hair styled slightly different as well, his presence isn't even noticed for the first few moments, as Aziraphale is stilled lost in his thoughts. In fact, he isn't noticed until he places the wrapped gift in his hand onto the angel's desk, startling him as the good-hearted demon entered his peripheral vision. Before Crowley can say anything, his best friend turns to him and goes into a little rambling of a story, starting with "A very strange thing happened today."

Crowley raises his eyebrows in response as he takes off his sunglasses, fully prepared to listen. Not that Aziraphale would even notice he was doing so, his mouth moving at lightning speeds. "Heaven has sent another angel to Earth, and-" this is when Crowley remembers his encounter with his own replacement, storing it close by in his brain, prepared to share it once Aziraphale stops for a breath. But he doesn't. He just keeps going and going, speaking worryingly fast.

"Well she tripped in front of me, and you know me, of course I'm going to help her up, not that I even know she's an angel at this point. But anyway, I reach out my hand to her, she takes it, stands up, but gets very flustered, yells at me, and she stomps off. But! I could tell she was an angel because of what she told me."

Crowley tilts his head in confusion and opens his mouth to ask what that may be, but is cut off by Aziraphale saying "She told me I was loved! And she was so flustered by it, she revealed herself as an angel to me by telling me she could tell I was loved--and for someone trying very hard to keep up a disguise--which I could tell by her very normal and casual clothes, attitude, demeanor, all of it seeming very human-like and not in the slightest supernatural or even unnatural--I feel like it would take an overwhelming amount of love to throw them off like that! And I just can't help but wonder which humans actually appreciated me enough to love me to that extent? I can't think of any, so far!"