3.8 Day Three: Lizzie/Parker

Start from the beginning

Before I could fight back and tear that door open, Mr. Burka spoke up from his desk. "Lizzie? Is everything okay? Is that..." he pushed his glasses up his nose, "Parker?"

"Uh, yeah," I grumbled and walked a little closer. "She'll be fine after a lobotomy."

"Sorry? What did you say?"

"I said, yeah everything's fine..." I scratched the side of my face, picking at a zit and slowly approached Mr. Burka's desk. Glancing behind my shoulder, Parker waited by the door. She threw a thumbs up and I took a deep quivering breath.

"So, I uh asked my mom about the email," I said my second lie of the day. At this rate, I was never going to notice a difference. My hands started to shake, so I grabbed the straps of my backpack. Mr. Burka looked up with a small smile, patiently waiting for more. Heat trickled into my face as I went on.

I wished I spoke louder.

I prayed he couldn't see me trembling.

"Um, it was just a misunderstanding. I'm not quitting band."

"Oh, good." Mr. Burka let out a huge sigh. "That's good. I was worried. You're so talented, Lizzie. I'd hate to see you give up. Sometimes performing is difficult, sometimes life is difficult, but you'll regret the things you don't do more."

I nodded. "I know..."

That was always easier said than done.

"And I also wanted to ask you something else..." I stole a glance at Parker again, feeling the corner of my eyes pool. I took a deep breath and returned her little smile. "I kind of bombed my audition, right?"

Mr. Burka's face softened. "You didn't bomb, but I do wish you stayed after. We could've talked."

"I know." My face was breaking records with how hot I was blushing. My face was going to lead this town single-handedly back to the summer. "I was wondering..." As I spoke, it was like the words carved out pieces of my chest and I just felt hollow. "Is it possible to get another chance. I really don't want to miss out and I know I ran, but you know I can sight read and-"

"Lizzie, Lizzie." Mr. Burka raised his hands. "It's alright. I wished you stayed after. I already filled out all the spots."

"Oh," I deflated. All the heat suddenly vanished, and my veins ran cold. My voice came out so small. "Oh, I get it."

"But," he smiled, "I could always use someone on the piano. Now..." He rubbed the scruff around his chin. "I've never had an assistant before for symphony. Have you ever considered trying to conduct?"

I blinked. "Oh, um I haven't."

"You might like it. I know it's not playing the violin but-"

"No! I'll do it!"

"Great. Practice starts after we're done with Cinderella."

"Thank you. Y-you won't regret it!"

Before I had the opportunity to screw everything up, I ran back outside and wrapped my arms around Parker, whirling her around the hallway, making my backpack slide off my shoulders. It wasn't an easy task, tossing around the resident giant. "I'm in! I'm in!"

"Of course, you are! He'd be crazy not to let you in."

My heart thumped against my chest as if to reach out and high-five hers. Not gonna lie, in middle school, Andrew Miller asked me out on the bus. I said yes (just because all my other friends said yes when boys asked them out) and then, we very romantically high-fived.

Camille still hasn't let me live that down.

Before I realized it, we stopped moving. Parker grinned down at me and I almost didn't believe I couldn't have done this without her. Ashley Marie Parker. She may have been more than I bargained for. A smile pulled up my cheeks and I said, "This is exciting. I don't know what to do with all these feelings. I've like never felt like this. I feel like I could lift a bus over my head or skydive or..." I grinned wider. "Cut my hair. Would you really cut my hair?"