~1~

Her smile was so bright it could outshine the sun. Her laugh was so radiant it could make the darkest night in December feel like the summer solstice. People always hung around her, hoping her infectious personality would spread to them.

"Ae Ra, want to get some bubble tea after class?"

Anyone who knew Ae Ra knew she was addicted to bubble tea. She wouldn't be surprised if there was more bubble tea than blood in her body.

"Deal. I only have one more class. Meet you by the fountain out front at 3!" she waved to her best friend Song Rina.

Just one more she reminded herself and trudged to marketing class. There were at least 300 students in the large auditorium. Even just sitting there and taking notes on the lecture was intimidating to Ae Ra.

"Today, we'll be learning how to do a proper handshake. Can I have a volunteer?" the professor asked, scanning the crowd.

Out of the 300 students, no soul raised their hand. Ae Ra was in the process of trying to slide down into her seat but Professor Lee had hawk eyes.

"You in the gray sweater! Why don't you come up here and show us how it's done," Professor Lee invited Ae Ra to the front.

The girl cursed under her breath before smiling and making her way to the stage of the large auditorium. Slowly, she stretched her hand to meet Professor Lee's own. Ae Ra gulped, hoping she wouldn't notice the callouses on her fingers. She wasn't able to look Professor Lee in the eyes, and she felt her cheeks go red from the hundreds of eyes staring at her, watching her every move. But as much as she tried, her hand went limp, and the auditorium held back their laughter.

Professor Lee shook her head. "We'll have to work on this. Handshakes are supposed to be firm and meaningful. They can make or break a deal in the business world. I hope you keep that in mind, young lady."

Ae Ra tried to brush it off. She made her way back to her seat, sliding down even further than before. Her heart was still racing even though the whole spectacle had ended. She was sure news of her epic fail would have spread across the university before class ended.

Professor Lee scanned the crowd again. "Mr. Kim, why don't you give it a try? This will be the first of many handshakes for you, I assume."

And there he stood. Kim Taehyung- the rich son of a CEO. He was guaranteed to take over his father's company one day. The mood of the auditorium changed completely, and the students started clapping and cheering as Taehyung strode down the center aisle to the stage.

"What a showoff," Ae Ra remarked, watching him.

He confidently faced the audience. "Hello, my name is Kim Taehyung." His eyes immediately drifted to Ae Ra's locking with them for a moment before he sneaked in a wink. Without hesitation, he shook the professor's hand.

"Very well done," Professor Lee clapped. "That's how to do it the proper way."

It wasn't even a big deal. It was just a handshake. But Ae Ra found herself mulling over the fact that she had screwed up something so basic. As she was leaving the class, she noticed girls wrapping their hands around Taehyung's waist or trying to hold his hand. Ae Ra frowned in disgust. He was just a rich boy playing around. Yet, his future was already painted. That kid had nothing to worry about.

Rina was waiting by the fountain as promised, and the two girls nearly skipped to the coffee shop off campus that was famous for its coffees and bubble teas.

"How was your day?" Rina smiled as the barista placed her coffee in front of her.

Ae Ra took a sip of her milk tea. "It was fine. There are just some things I need to work on."

"Aigoo, being a business major must be so tiring," Rina smiled. She was majoring in music composition and had already composed beats for popular artists. The girl couldn't live without her music.

"I guess you could say that," Ae Ra laughed. "At least my fashion senses have sharpened. Remember what I used to wear in high school?"

"Don't even remind me," Rina snorted. "Always in that oversized hoodie and paint splattered jeans. Good thing you grew out of that phase. Look at you now!"

Ae Ra beamed as she looked down at her gray sweater and plaid pants. She wore a touch of makeup, and her hair was always elegantly styled. She looked so... refined. Glancing down for a second, Ae Ra noticed the time on her watch and gasped.

"Oh, it's almost time for me to help make dinner. I'd better get going!" Ae Ra chugged the rest of her tea and waved at Rina before blasting down the sidewalk towards her house.

"Wash up and get ready to chop some vegetables," Ae Ra's mother chirped.

The girl did as she was told. After her shower, she traded in her clothes for an oversized sweatshirt and pants that had been stained with paint. Her hair was raked back into a messy ponytail, and now that her makeup had been washed off, you could see the sickening dark circles under her dull eyes.

As she entered the kitchen, her mother shook her head. "Why do you keep wearing those clothes?"

"They're the only house clothes I have," Ae Ra protested. "I promise you I've grown out of that phase. I'm definitely dedicated to becoming a business major."

Her mother sighed in relief. "Good. Can you chop the onions? I need them finely sliced. Does my little business major think she can do that?"

Ae Ra grinned and began following her mother's instructions. The scent of the onion hit her nose, and her eyes immediately started watering. She blinked away the tears as she kept slicing. Her eyes began stinging as the aroma relentlessly grew stronger the more she cut.

They have no idea she thought as a large tear rolled down her cheek.