~11~

Ae Ra blew up balloons while Rina hung them up. Around the house along with some colorful streamers. He'd be home soon, and they wanted to finish the decorations to surprise him.

She had decided to give him his gift later in the night after all the festivities died down. That was the only way she could be certain her mother wouldn't find out. Ae Ra stepped back once they had finished. The house looked very lively and welcoming. Secretly, she hoped it would not only impress Hyunjin but also the neighbor.

There was a jingle of keys before the front door swung open and Hyunjin's jaw dropped.

"Happy birthday!" Rina cheered, and he grinned.

"You guys did all this for me?!" He set down his backpack by the door and slid into some house slippers. "I feel so honored."

Their mother popped out from the kitchen with a spatula in her hand. "I'm working on food for dinner. Would anyone like samples?"

Was that even a question? They each tried a piece of Mrs. Hwang's signature spicy dak bulgogi.

"Mrs. Hwang, your food has always been out of this world, but this is absolutely amazing. Do you think I could have the recipe, so I could try making it sometime?"

Ae Ra's mother laughed. "You're such a sweet girl, Rina. Of course! And tell Mrs. Song that she's welcome over anytime."

Rina bowed. "Ae Ra, weren't you going to tell me all about your plan for your marketing project? You've been so excited about it!"

That seemed to pique Mrs. Hwang's interest. "You're excited about your marketing project? Wow, you really weren't lying to me when you said you liked business."

"There's no one as dedicated as Ae Ra when it comes to learning about her major. She's a pro. She even dresses the part," Rina cheered on her friend. "Let us know if you need help cooking, Mrs. Hwang."

Rina pushed Ae Ra into a room. "I did good, didn't I?"

"Did good doing what?" Ae Ra asked in confusion. Even Hyunjin wasn't sure what she was talking about.

Rina nodded. "I know you still paint Ae Ra. I know you can't stand business. Yesterday when I ran into you, you were holding a painting."

Hyunjin's eyes widened. "You made me a painting???" he whispered excitedly.

"Shhh, I'll give it to you later."

Rina nodded. "I've known for some time now. We all knew how good you used to be in art class in middle school and high school. When you told me you were giving it all up for business, I couldn't buy it for a second. But we'll do your best to convince your mom, I guess."
Ae Ra felt her heart ache. What did she do to deserve a friend like Rina? There was a knock on the door, and Hyunjin ran to get it.

"It's the neighbor," he winked at his older sister.

Rina and Ae Ra exchanged nervous yet excited glances.

"Omo! You're so handsome! Wow, Hyunjinnie was right when he said you were good looking!" Mrs. Hwang swooned from the kitchen.

"You first," Ae Ra swallowed nervously.

"No, you. This is your house." Rina nudged Ae Ra towards the door, and she slowly made her way to the center of attention. She saw the back of his form and stopped. Even the back of head was attractive. And his lean figured was tucked into a thin dress shirt and slacks.

"Omo, meet my daughter Ae Ra," Mrs. Hwang said, gesturing to her, and the boy turned around.

Their eyes met. Ae Ra stumbled backward in surprise, and Rina nearly collapsed on the spot.