welcome to new york

Bucky stared solemnly at the serene water wall in front of him. The trickle of small streams over the jagged stone wall was calming, but it was nothing compared to the peacefulness of the breeze rustling the tree leaves and the grass from Safe Haven.

"Friday?" Bucky's voice croaked. "Yes, Sergeant Barnes?"

He grimaced at the name.

"What time is it?" He asked as he forced himself to stand from his bed. It was a very big bed, different than the slightly worn twin size he slept on at the house.

"The time is currently 5:34 am Eastern Time. Would you like me to get breakfast started, sir?"

"No thanks." Bucky slipped on a shirt, it was cold last night since the AC was on all night. He remembered when his hair was long, he would wake up sticky and slick from the stuffy nights.

He should really stop comparing Avengers Headquarters to Safe Haven. It wasn't doing him any good anyway.

But it wasn't going to stop him from missing it.

After changing and getting ready for the day, Bucky stepped outside and headed to the dining room.

Out of habit, he paused at the doorway to wait for Elliot to zoom by, still fixing his hair from the bathroom or Nathan to toss a ball down the hall, only... No one ever came.

Shaking his head and muttering about how quiet every thing was, he continued his journey. When he arrived, Steve was already there munching on cereal.

"Morning, Buck," Steve said through a mouthful of Honey Bunches. Bucky merely grunted his response and opened the fridge to get the gallon of milk.

"Did you sleep last night?" Steve asked before taking another bite. Bucky huffed and shook his head.

"Nightmares?"

Bucky shook his head. He wasn't about to confess to his best bud that his dreams mostly took place at Safe Haven.

Luckily, before Steve could keep questioning, Sam came in yawning and bade good morning.

Bucky began munching on his own corn flakes when he began chiding himself.

Why was he dreaming about the house, his life there and Angie?

Twice last night the memory of her and the fire flies came back. And more than twice the image of her face full of fear then full of hurt when he hurt her.

It was best that he did leave, even though he felt sick when Angie begged him to stay. After he released her from his hold, she still clung to him and sobbed into his neck.

"C'mon, Angie, let me g-"

"No! Please stay, I miss you a lot and I'm not gonna have anybody to stay up with me, or play with me or push me on the swing or-,"

"Angie, baby, let Mr. Barnes go," Marge reached and tried to pry Angie away from him.

And Bucky so desperately wanted to fight Marge too by holding Angie again, but he couldn't.

"Marge. Let me," he said in one of the most heartbroken voices Marge has ever heard.

Bucky held her once more and stood up. Just like the night she was asleep, Angie instinctively wrapped her knees around his torso and rested her tear stained cheek on his neck.

She was hiccuping from all the crying she was doing by the time he bent over to release her. Reluctantly, she finally let go and stood there shaking from the sobs she released earlier.

Bucky climbed up the steps with her bruised hand held gingerly by his flesh one. When they were closer to the door, Bucky let go of her hand and got on one knee.

"Bug, listen to me. I hurt you very bad and I'm so very sorry. I didn't want to hurt you, but I did because of something I couldn't control. So, to make sure I don't do it again, I have to go," as the word left his mouth, Angie broke down again and tried to wrap her arm around his neck. He gently blocked her arm and stood. Before Angie could take another step forward, Marge got a hold of her shoulder and kept her back as Bucky turned to leave.

With every step he took away from her, every tearful plea she gave to stay, a piece of him broke inside. By the time he got inside the car Sam thoughtfully was already sitting in, it took every fiber of his being not to jump out the car and run back to her and promise that he'd never leave her.

"Sergeant Barnes?" Friday's voice broke him from his thoughts. "Yes?"

"Just a reminder that you have an appointment with Helen Cho and Princess Shuri from Wakanda for your arm, sir."

Bucky sighed, "Thanks, Friday,"

"You're welcome, sir."

"You alright, Bucky?" Steve asked as he rinsed his bowl in the sink. Truthfully, he shook his head and left before Steve could ask any more questions.

As Bucky's back disappeared down the hall, Steve and Sam looked at each other with sad eyes.

When Sam arrived back at the hotel, Steve asked him how it went privately. "It messed him up, man. It really messed him up."

Later, Steve would learn how it happened and since then, his heart felt heavy for his pal.

"Captain Rogers? Tony would like to meet with you in conference room B on the fourth floor." Friday redirected her voice to Steve as she continued to spill out reminders and appointments.

"What does he want now?" Sam asked as he out his own bowl in the sink. "I guess I'll find out when I get there."

---------
So... This is a little rushed... Hope y'all liked it.

Another part kinda has to follow up soon anyway so see ya then!