THE QUEST: Chapter 52

Start from the beginning

Her time in the Undying Lands was spent with her family as well as other elves that had heeded the call of the sea, joining them in dancing, singing, storytelling and admiring the beautiful forests, seas, and landscapes. It was nothing like Middle Earth, unmatched in its beauty and magnificence. She felt a sense of belonging there that she had never felt in Middle Earth even during her time in the Woodland Realm or even Ithilien. It was as if this was where she was always supposed to be, always supposed to belong.

Yet, her heart yearned. Every morning at sunrise and each evening at dusk Alannah would walk the shores of Valinor while her eyes scanned the horizon. She looked for any sign of him: a ship, a boat, anything that would signify his homecoming. Once the dusk finally gave way to night each day, Alannah would stop in her search and stare East, bidding the love in her heart to carry across the sea to Legolas to beckon him to join her.

"I'm waiting for you, meleth." Alannah whispered, praying the wind would bear her message safe passage to him. Her eyes looked up as the stars took their rightful place in the sky while she ran her finger softly over her wedding band. "You promised me a dance."

~

The morning was bright as the sun shone down upon Alannah when she began her usual walk along the shore. Her breathing was even and steady, her feet gently pushing the sand beneath her toes with each step she took. Her thoughts as of late were part in worry that Legolas had not yet come to join her. Tragedy had not befallen him for that she was certain, otherwise she would have received word of his spirit dwelling in the Halls of Mandos where her own spirit had visited many years ago when she resided in Middle Earth. For that she was relieved but it still brought forth the question: why has he not come yet?

Alannah remained resolute in her decision to be at the shore morning and night, just in case he did come. Her hands smoothed the white fabric of her dress as she walked absentmindedly, wishing to look her best when the time did come for their reunion.

"Please." Alannah whispered, pleading. "I miss you." She sighed as she looked down at her feet. She wondered how many steps she had taken during her time on the shores of Valinor having already forgotten how many days, months, or years she had repeated the same paths. The sand was warm against her skin, comforting even now that it was the new familiarity she had grown accustomed to.

Alannah turned away from the sea having decided for herself that this morning was the same as the rest. It was not the day for Legolas to come to her. She sucked in a ragged breath and took a few steps in a bid to find Thranduil or Oryn when she felt her heart tug her back. Her head shook from side to side at the inkling, unable to make herself look over her shoulder to look one last time for the day.

"Turn around, child." A soft and familiar voice instructed. Alannah looked up to see Lady Galadriel several paces away from her with Gandalf standing behind her, smiling widely and nodding assuringly. "Turn around."

Alannah stared at them both for a moment as her head continued to shake, not wishing to feel the repeated feeling disappointment of nothing but the clear and open sea as she looked. Galadriel and Gandalf nodded once more, a comfort and wish in their eyes as they waited.

Finally, Alannah relented to her heart's desire and moved her feet to face the sea expecting to see nothing but the crystalline waters pushing onwards towards the shore. Her breath hitched and her body rendered itself motionless at the sight of a small ship carrying Legolas and Gimli towards the shore. She saw nothing and no one else aside from him as her green orbs desperately and immediately locked onto his, unable to allow herself to notice anything else.

"Faster Gimli!" Legolas shakily exclaimed as he saw Alannah, see him. His heart nearly pounded out of his chest as they bid the ship to move faster and smiled as the wind caught hold of the sails.