The Quest: Chapter 11

"I cannot hear her anymore, Aragorn." Legolas said worriedly. The three continued to follow the trail left by the uruk-hai, all while Legolas kept his eye in the distance for any sign of Alannah. "I've attempted for hours. I'm beginning to fear for her safety."

Aragorn looked troubled as he exchanged a morose look with Gimli, who also worried about her.

"She's battled beside us. You've seen her with a sword. She can protect herself, Legolas. Once we rescue the little ones, we will track her." Aragorn urged the group to pick up their pace as Legolas paused to look behind him at the rising sun.

"A red sun rises." Legolas turned with a pained look. "Blood has been spilled this night." He accelerated his pace, quick to reach the hobbits so he could find Alannah. They were deep into Rohan by now, surrounded by a rocky terrain and no villages in sight. The three hunters paused as they heard the sound of horses approaching and Aragorn quickly motioned for them to hide behind a rock to see if they be friend or foe.

The familiar sight of the Rohirrim rode past them, dust rising from the ground as the horses hooves clashed into the dirt. Aragorn stepped out from behind the rock, Legolas and Gimli following suit as he began to address them.

"Riders of Rohan!" He boldly exclaims. "What news from the 'mark?" He watched as the riders circled back, surrounding the three hunters with their swords and spears drawn. Anger began to brew within Legolas as he pressed his back to his friends to form a protective circle against the riders.

"What business does an elf, a man, and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" The leader demanded. "Speak quickly!"

"Give me your name horse master, and I shall give you mine." Gimli boldly responded. The man descended from his horse, approaching the three hunters confidently.

"I would cut off your head, dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground." The leader threatened. Fatigue, worry and anger took over Legolas as the threat to one of his friends was spoken and he quickly pulled an arrow from quiver, loading his bow and aiming it at the man. He was faster than they could respond before he spoke. "And you would die before your stroke fell!" Legolas warned. He kept his eyes narrowed on the man, even as Aragorn cautiously placed his hand on Legolas's arm and pushed it down.

Aragorn began to speak more calmly to the man, stating their business in the plains of Rohan. He explained the orcs they were tracking and that they were on a rescue mission for the tiny hobbits, Merry and Pippin. The man finally removed his helmet and revealed himself to the three hunters as Eomer, leader of the Rohirrim of Rohan and nephew to King Theoden. Eomer gave them two horses as he pointed them in the direction of the burnt orc corpses they must have been tracking, piled up nearby before departing from the three hunters to their banishment.

Legolas felt his heart grow heavy as they approached the large pile of flame riddled bodies, hoping not to find the hobbits or Alannah amongst them. Gimli pulled a small belt, belonging to one of the halflings out of the ash and hesitantly showed it to Aragorn.

Angrily, Aragorn kicked a helmet and sent it flying over the pile to the other side as he cried out in anguish. Legolas bowed his head and crossed his arm over his chest in honor of the presumed fallen hobbits. They stood beside the burnt corpses for a moment before something caught Aragorn's eye. It was clear that two hobbits had laid in the dirt nearby, and crawled away from the battle. He began to follow the tracks, Legolas and Gimli following him, careful to not let the small glimmer of hope in their hearts to take hold.

The tracks led to the edge of the Entwood, Fangorn Forest. The three hunters stood before it skeptical and unknowing of what mysteries they would find within it, only sure that Merry and Pippin had fled into its dark and mysterious woods. Legolas looked behind them, scanning the pile of bodies and the many tracks on the ground for any sign that Alannah had been there.