The Quest Chapter 45

The hot summer that brought forth Oryn soon passed to Autumn as the leaves changed and the nights grew cooler. The leaves fell from the trees and buried the once fully bloomed flowers that encompassed the forests of Ithilien, turning into nourishment to continue the lasting promise that they would bloom again when Winter had passed, and Spring came once again. Still, the land was beautiful as it was filled with gorgeous landscapes of forests, rivers and hills that were blessed with the beautiful backdrop of a starry sky and a glowing moon every night as well as a blue canvas for the illuminating sun every day.

Alannah was overjoyed as she settled into her new role as a mother. Oryn was a very easy child that never cried or wailed as most infants do. In fact, he was almost always cheerful as well as very bright for being so young. He could already crawl, speak a few words and even tried to dance whenever music was playing, or a song was sung. He had become her pride and joy, and the two were almost inseparable. She was surprised at how easy and natural motherhood had come to her, never having given it much thought in her life until she wed Legolas. 

Alannah put Oryn down for the night in his room in the large treehouse, in a beautiful bed that Legolas had crafted himself as the sun set and the crisp autumn night air lulled him to sleep. She could hear Legolas in their room down the hall, flipping pages of a book he had borrowed from the library in Minas Tirith. As she closed the door to Oryn's room, she stood quietly in the hallway and loosened the ties at the front of her dress before walking into the bedroom to join her husband. They hadn't made love since Oryn was born, and Alannah was beginning to wonder why he never initiated anything with her any longer. Of course, he was always loving and doted on her every chance he got but still, it never went past that. With a deep breath and all the confidence Alannah could muster, she pushed open the bedroom door and closed it behind her.

As always, he looked stunning as he lay on the bed propping himself up on his elbow. An otherworldly being that could still stop Alannah in her tracks in wonder and awe until the realization that he was her husband dawned on her once again and she could continue in the task she had at hand. His long, slender fingers gently slid down the length of each page as he flipped them, the only sound in the otherwise silent room.

"You must be exhausted." Legolas said softly as Alannah stepped through the doorway. She shook her head with a smile as she made her way to the bed to join him.

"No at all. Oryn could never exhaust me." Alannah said as she pulled the book from his hands and set it on the bedside table. Legolas leaned forward to kiss her before pushing himself off the bed, leaving Alannah feeing confused and rejected.

"I think I may go for a stroll through the woods. I do love the night air at the crest of Autumn as the leaves change. I won't be gone for too long meleth nin, but if you do fall asleep before I return know I love you." Legolas said as he pulled his bow over his shoulder. Alannah furrowed her brow and turned her face away as he moved in to kiss her. Legolas immediately felt the change in the atmosphere surrounding her as well as a heavy feeling in his chest that he knew was an emotion she was feeling herself that he was sensing.

"Meleth nin, have I done something to upset you? I won't go if that is your wish but please don't pull away from me." Legolas said as he put his hand to her cheek and turned her face to look at him.

"You're right. I'm exhausted." Alannah sighed as she tightened the ties to her dress and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. Legolas watched her lay in the bed, reaching over to pick up the book he had previously been reading. The heaviness was still prominent in his chest that he knew she was still feeling as he nodded his head before walking out of the room, closing the bedroom door behind him.