TWENTY SIX

preacher man by the driver era

We make love that night.

Yes, we have sex, but it's so much more than that.

It's slower, it's softer, and we barely make it through the door without our hands all over each other. It's needy, it's filled with desire, and it takes only moments for my back to be pushed up against the first wall it comes in contact with in the living room. Clothes fall to the floor, every worry washes away, and I'm more than thrilled to be sharing moments like this with Nick.

He takes me against the wall, on the couch, on the dining room floor, and finally in the bedroom. Our addiction is becoming clearer, but neither of us seem to care as long as we're together.

I admire him as we lay facing each other. The white light of the moon is a spotlight on his beautiful face; I could stare at him forever.

I just might.

His eyes are sleepy as they gaze into mine. They look as if they're fighting to stay awake, but they're more than happy doing it.

"I don't want to go back home," he murmurs, his eyes closing before slowly reopening into mine.

We decide to go home tomorrow. I want to stay, but he insists. He tells me that he can't let me leave my life for him. I tell him again there isn't much to leave behind.

I nod sympathetically, my thumb tracing over his jawline. "I know. Me neither. I wish we didn't have to."

"Do you think your mom is worried about you?"

"No," I shake my head. "She's probably happy I'm gone for once. She's been begging me to leave for a while."

He tips his head, and I can tell he's confused.

"The night I saw you sneaking back into your house and thought you were some robber or something," I laugh. "I called her in a complete panic about it and she set me straight. She said that it was probably just the neighbor sneaking back in from being out, and she wishes I'd do the same thing."

"Permission to break the rules?" he shakes his head. "So not fair, Mary. You've got it so good."

"Being good your whole life pays off," I tease, scrunching my nose so slightly.

Nick laughs too. His fingertips find the side of my face, brushing my hair away before stroking my jawline gently. I nearly melt into his touch. It's addicting.

"I'm gonna miss you," he murmurs, his eyes growing heavy. "So much."

The smile on his lips is so genuine and beautiful, and I can't help but stare.

"You can see me any time you want," I shake my head. "I'm just a climb up the ladder away. Right?"

"I know," his gaze falls to my lips. "I know," he repeats, only in a whisper this time.

He pulls me into him, allowing the softness of our lips to meet again to create that stunning feeling of security that we both crave so desperately. My body melts into him as he presses himself against me.

I fall apart in his grip. I'm his.

It's decided that we leave in the afternoon on that following day.

I don't say it, but my stomach lurches every so often at the thought of going home. Not so much for my own sake, but for Nick's. I don't know how Greg will react to him being gone for an extended period of time. I don't know if Nick told him that he would be leaving. I don't know if this is going to cause some kind of World War III level fight, but I'm not ready to face it.