Chapter fourty-one: Luke

I opened my eyes slowly, trying to make a couple words come out of my mouth. The task was hard since my throat was dry due to being asleep for - what I assume - a long time. ''Don't go, I-I want you to stay,'' I mumbled, hoping the messy haired boy would hear me and stay. 

Ashton turned on his heels, now facing me. His face was blank, as he saw me waking up slowly but surely.

''Lukey..'' he whispered, his voice cracking. 

I gave him a faint smile, holding my hand out for him. He walked back to his previous place , sat on the small chair and took my hand in his, locking our fingers together after handing me a glass of water for my dry throat. I had to let go of his hand to drink the water because my other hand is currently not available. There's a cast on it for some reason - I must've broke it.

''How are you feeling?'' asked Ashton after I handed him the glass back so he could put it on the table beside the bed. 

I closed my eyes for a second or two. ''Sleepy,'' I whined in a small voice. ''And my head hurt.'' 

He ran a hand trough my fringe and I leaned into his touch. He locked his eyes with mine for a few seconds before getting up. ''I'll go get a nurse or something. I have to inform them you are awake and that you must have a headache. I'll be back soon.'' 

I wanted to correct him and tell him it felt more like a migraine but I didn't because talking makes it worse. He came back a minute later with a doctor following behind. 

''Nice to see you are finally awake,'' said the cheery doctor. ''You gave us quite a scare in the surgery room, kiddo,'' he added, shaking his head slowly.

The man asked me a couple questions like how old I am or which year are we currently in or if I recognized the boy with us in the room, which I replied ''Of course, his name's Ashton'', smiling as I looked at the said boy. He then had a look at my vital signs before sitting down beside the bed, saying it was now time to talk about my injuries and recovery proceed. 

''We'll start with your concussion. Let me explain what is it so everyone is on the same line. A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury. It can occur after an impact to your head or after a whiplash-type injury that causes your head and brain to shake quickly back and forth. Concussions are usually not life threatening, but they can cause serious symptoms that require medical treatment,'' started the white dressed man, sitting on the chair Ashton was previously sitting on.

''During the first 24 hours after the injury, I'm gonna have to ask someone to wake you up every two to three hours. This ensures that you have not gone into a coma and also allows someone to check whether you are experiencing signs of severe confusion or abnormal behavior.''

''I will wake him up,'' offered Ashton, eager to help like always.

''Also, if you're having an headache, ask one of the nurse for acetaminophen. Get plenty of rest, avoid sports and other strenuous activities, and avoid driving a vehicle or riding a bike for a few days or weeks. Don't worry, I will come to inform you of the precise time when you'll leave the hospital. You are more at risk for a second concussion while you are recovering so you have to follow these rules. Concussions are very serious. Getting a second concussion before you are fully healed from a first concussion can cause a condition known as second impact syndrome. Second impact syndrome can increase the chances of severe brain swelling, which may be fatal,'' explained he doctor.

''Once you gonna get home, that is, during the recovery period, you may experience the following symptoms: irritability, sensitivity to light or noise, difficulty concentrating or mild headaches. As for your broken wrist, can you try and move your fingers for me?'' I nod and did as told. ''Great.''