Chapter fourteen: Ashton

I rubbed the blonde's back soothingly as soft snores escaped his slightly parted mouth. He look peaceful like this. The complete opposite of when he knocked on my door. I was shocked to find him on the other side but also relieved that he went to me in the first place. He could've went to Michael or Calum's but no, he knocked on my door. And that means a lot to me.

His hair are a mess under that grey beanie, his clothes are most likely dirty and wet but I don't care. I still invited him under my cover for some warmth. He must've been cold because he cuddled close to me as soon as I climbed in too. Pressing his face in my chest and curling his arms and legs in a ball to keep his warmth. I wrapped my arms around his body, whispering soft nothings to him. It took only five minutes before the boy was lost into dreamland. 

I couldn't help but notice the cut on his cheekbone and wonder where that come from. Did he got involved into a fight during his absence? But first of all, why did he left for five days? I wanted to ask him but when I saw his pained face and lost eyes as I opened my bedroom door, every questions I desperately wanted answers suddenly got forgotten.

All I wanted was for him to get better.

''Morning,'' I said when I saw his blue eyes flutter open. He groaned and tried hiding his face but was blocked by my chest. I chuckled. ''I know you are awake, don't try fooling me.'' 

He rolled on his back. ''Dammit,'' he cursed. 

''Do you feel better after a night of sleep?'' I asked him. 

He rubbed his eyes, trying to erase the sleep and adjust to the soft light peaking trough the curtains. ''I guess.'' 

''Great! Now, I can be honest and ask you when was the last time you took a shower?''

''Beofre the funeral, I think. I'm not sure,'' he replied, biting his lip, trying to think harder.

''Ew, that's gross. Go take a shower because you stink, Hemmings,'' I said, shoving him slightly as he laughed.

''No. I'm comfy,'' he protested, trying to snuggle closer to me.

I shook my head, not giving up on my words. ''Take a shower and then we can cuddle if you want,'' I proposed. ''I'll also take some time to clean that nasty cut on your cheek before it get infected.'' 

I heard him whine but he still got up, retiring himself to the bathroom. 

''Much better,'' I exclaimed when he came back half an hour later dressed in a black jumper with some band logo and his boxer. His hair were dried and fluffy and clean. ''I made us breakfast so if you want, we can go eat it downstairs while it's still hot.'' 

''I'm starving!'' 

  We ate our food in silence since we both were not very talkative person but surprisingly, it wans't awkward at all. ''I've been a dick to you, why do you stick up with me?'' he asked all of a sudden, taking me by surprise. 

I swallow my bite and tried my best to give him an honest answer. ''People always deserve second chances. Sometimes you make mistakes and you only notice days, months or years later so I believe in second chances. Forgiving to people.'' I paused, taking a sip of my orange juice. ''My mother taught me that when I was a kid and it's now engraved in my mind.''

''But 'I did some nasty things to you..'' he said in a smaller voice.

''I know. But I moved on. Believe or not, Luke, everyone has a softer side. Even the though ones. It's a part of the human species. At first, I thought you were only a - pardon my language - dick. But the more I passed time with you, the more I started to see your softer, nicer side.''