Chapter fifteen: Luke

This morning was back to school for me. I wasn't very pleased with this decision but I apparently had no choice. Ashton and I walked to school -  well, I was rolling on my skateboard - and talked trough  the whole journey. I couldn't pass my chance to laugh at his shirt - who wears shirts for school? We're not going to a fucking wedding, that's just school. 

''I can dress however I want,'' he defended himself.

''Of course but you could've chose something more casual than a shirt, Ashton. Maybe in your country this is okay but not here in Australia. No one wears shirts to go to school.'' 

He knitted his eyebrow together, trying to pull an angry face which ended more funny than menacing. ''Stop laughing at me.'' 

I shook my head. ''Never gonna happen,'' I laughed. ''You're too easy to make fun of.'' I shoved him lightly and he groaned. 

''Stop it, you're gonna make creases,'' he complained.

I let myself loose this time and laughed. ''Creases, seriously?'' He glared at me and I rolled my eyes. ''Come on, loosen up, English boy.'' 

''You're not funny in the slightest, Luke.'' 

''I am. It's Australian humor, you can't understand,'' I pushed, sticking my tongue out at him childishly. The curly haired one shook his head and we continue our journey. 

  When we entered the building, people were staring at me. I was confused at first and was wondering why were they looking at me like that. There was only one reason that came in my mind. Was is pity looks because of my mother's death? If so well, they can stick their pity down their ass because I don't need it.

To my surprise, it wasn't. 

''You were really good last night!'' said a blonde girl as I walked by.

''I can't wait to see you at the SIdney's finale!''

''I never thought you had such talent!'' said another, showing me her prominent cleavage.

''You have an amazing voice, Luke!'' 

I thanked everyone - I tried to - as I made my way to my locker. Their compliment made a smile appear on my lips which wasn't unnoticed by Michael who was waiting alongside Calum at my locker. 

''The whole school is crazy for you, Hemmings. Don't you have some thank you's to say?'' asked Calum suggestively. 

I took my chin between my finger and looked up. ''No. I don't think so,'' I replied, trying to not laugh.

''Last night was sick, Luke. So many people came to see you. The crowd was madness,'' said Michael. ''You made a lot of girl wet their panties while you were on stage,'' he winked. 

I chuckled, passing a hand trough my quiffed blond hair. ''I was on the stage, Clifford, I saw everything.'' 

''I was surprised to see you on stage last night. I thought you would cancel the gig because.. you know..'' 

''I almost did but something made me change my mind,'' I told him, sending a subtle glance to Ashton who was awkwardly standing beside Calum. He smiled at me and excused himself, saying he had a class to attend and that it was situated on the other side of the building. 

''Hey John,'' I called as I saw him in the school's hallway at the break before lunch.  

''Luke!'' he smiled. ''I'm glad to see you back buddy. Do you have a moment?'' 

I frowned but nod. ''Yeah.'' 

He told me to follow him in his office and I did so. It was the first time I put a foot in John's office. He and I talked a lot during lunch or randomly in the hallways between classes but I've never been in here. It looks quite decent compared to some other office I saw in this building - the psychologist's is awful, they still think we are babies with those toys laying here and there. There was around table along with four chairs around it so we sat there. 

''I wanted to talk about you nest performance. It's in a few days Luke and after the recent events, I wanted to know if you were still going to perform,'' he asked. 

I laughed. ''Yeah, of course, why wouldn't I?'' 

''After a close loss, some people prefer to withdraw themselves from the contests. When I learn about your mother - my sincere condolence - I thought you would retire yourself and-'' 

I shook my head. ''No, no. I'm still in John,'' I assured him. 

He smiled and clasped his hands together. ''Good. Have you thought about the song already?'' 

''We can say that..'' I trailed off. ''I wanted to do something special for the Sidney's finale so I wrote a song. It's not finished but I am working on it. It'll be done in time for the Sidney's finale I promise.''

''I'm fine with that. I can't wait to hear your composition, I bet it'll be brilliant,'' he said as the bell rang, reminding me that I had another class to attend before lunch. 

  Barely five minutes after I sat at my place in my French class, someone knocked at the door and asked for me to follow them. I bet my father is asking for me.. Ugh, I am not in the mood to see him. My day was almost perfect till now. 

''Glad to see you, son,'' greeted my father when I entered in his office. Entering here was grossing me out but I had no choice since I got escorted by a security guy - really, doesn't he think I'm a child? I'm a grown up, I can walk on my own. 

''I would say the feeling's mutual but that would be a lie,'' I spoke back, smirking as I saw my father's anger starting to build up. 

''Where were you these past days? You didn't come home for five days, Luke, five days! That's almost a week.'' 

''But I came back!''

''You did but you also had me worried.'' 

''Why am I having trouble believing you right now?'' I quizzed, not bothering to wait for his answer before replying. ''Oh yeah! Because I honestly cannot remember the last time you were worried about me.'' 

''I do worry about you,'' he repeated, trying to convince me. 

''Really? It's funny because I can't remember one single time when you actually was worried about me. All you think about it what people think of me, not what I really am. All you care about is your happiness, not mine.''

''Luke, I-'' he started but I stopped him. 

''Bullshit! Fucking bullshit,'' I said slamming my fist on his wooden desk, making it tremble. 

''Is everything okay, Mr Hemmings?'' asked Mrs Kennedy as she knocked lightly on the door. ''If the kid is giving you trouble I can always call security,'' she informed him.

I snort and shook my head. I can't believe she is still here. I thought he fired her. 

''Everything's fine. You can go back to your work,'' he told her with a kind smile.

''I bet once I leave your office you'll invite her in here and bend her over that desk.''

''Luke Robert Hemmings!'' he scoled, getting up from his spiny chair. His face was red of anger as his eyes were set on me, trying to look menacing. I simply got up and left his office, not bothering to reply Mrs Kennedy's greetings. 

A/N Sorry for the shortness of this chapter.. (I also feel like this chapter is CRAP) I just got some new books to read and I am very excited to start them (Looking for Alaska, Paper towns and Divergent). It's sad to say but I prefer reading books than watching TV - Teen Wolf doesn't count!! - or even going on my laptop. I am a nerd, haha. I hope you liked the chapter - despite his length and amount of dialogue-, and please tell me what you think will happen next. I like to heard (read in this case) your ideas.