That's something he does.

“They will be” Liam says softly. “Don't worry.”

-

Callin

There's another girl sitting here, with me, outside of operation.

I don't know who she is, but she's on the verge of tears, staring intently at the door.

I don't try to talk to her, and I don't think she even knows I'm here.

I wonder who she is.

But the intensity in her glare, the way her body is curled up, like she's protecting herself from something. It reminds me of Louis. How he was sitting, in the hospital bed earlier today.

She's trying, futilely, to protect herself from something that can't be stopped.

I'm waiting here for news about Niall, because I know they won't tell me otherwise. Preston wheeled my chair out here, and promised to come back at dinnertime.

I've been sitting here, with this strange girl, for about an hour. But she's been here longer; she was here when I arrived. I wonder who she's waiting for. I wonder if maybe she knows Niall, or if beyond closed doors, there's another operating room, with someone else on a table, fighting for their life.

The door that I'm staring at opens slowly, silently. A man sticks his head out.

“You two for Niall Horan?” he asks us. I nod. So does the girl. She casts a quick glance behind her, and seems surprised that I'm here. But the man's news is more important to her then who I am, and so she turns back to him.

“He's out of surgery” the man says. “Moved to room 306. We don't know yet if he'll recover, we'll have to see if he wakes up. Do you know the way?”

“Yeah” the girl says. And actually, I do as well. Niall's room is next to mine.

“Thanks” I say softly. The man smiles sadly, and then retreats into the room.

“Callin?” the girl asks me.

“Yeah?” I reply, a bit confused. How does she know my name?

“Oh, uhm, hi” she says. “I'm Robin.” She stands up. “You were here a few days ago. I was kinda waiting for you to wake up. I mean, it gets lonely here in the hospital. But then you left. N-Niall was waiting outside your room that day and we ended up talking and that's why I'm here.”

“N-nice to meet you” I say softly.

“Uhm . . . d'you want to go to Niall's room with me?” she asks.