Afterwards, we walked out of the kitchen and into the living room where dad, Bree, Alec, and Cayden were seated on the floor with all sorts of board games laid out before them. It seemed like they were confused on which one they wanted to play.

Mia and I joined them on the floor and joined the discussion. Alec and Dad wanted to play monopoly. Meanwhile, Bree wanted to play a game with cards. Mia took Bree's side.

I glanced at Cayden seated crossed-legged next me. He took no part in the discussion and was fidgeting with the hem of his sleeve in silence.

I reached out my hand to touch his arm and was left terrified when Cayden flinched, knocking down his glass of water he had put down next to him. Luckily it didn't crack, but it was emptied once the water spilled out onto the floor, forming a small puddle.

Cayden's face paled, and he blinked twice to comprehend what just happened. His head jerked up, eyes pooled with sudden agitation. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know how...or when..."

We all frowned.

"Are you okay, Cayden?" Mia asked, worriedly.

Cayden climbed to his feet. "Yeah, uh, can I just...which way is the bathroom?"

I got up and gestured him to come with me. "Come with me. I'll show you."

Cayden followed me quietly upstairs where I led him to the first door to the left, which was across from my bedroom.

"Here," I said, opening the door for him with a gentle smile.

Avoiding my gaze, Cayden slipped inside the bathroom and closed the door behind him. Worried out of my mind, I entered my room and left the door open so I could see him when he came out. I picked up my phone from my study desk and sat down on my bed.

I was so concerned and confused about what was going on in Cayden's head, and it only got worse when my gaze swept over the one message and two missed calls I had received from a number I didn't recognize. However, when I recognized the name in the message, I felt the slightest of relief wash over me.

Hi, Maya. It's Amelia. Cayden's mom. Cayden's not picking up his phone or answering my messages. I can't reach Alec's phone either. Is he okay? Could you tell him to call or message me? He isn't doing very well today and I'm getting worried that I can't reach him.

And then there were two missed calls.

I knew it. I knew something was off and he was having a really hard time hiding it. He wasn't doing okay today, but he still came. Why?

Pushing everything thought and question aside, I quickly called Amelia back. I wasn't surprised when she picked up after the first bell.

"Maya! Hi, dear. Is Cayden okay?" She asked, quicker than she picked up the phone.

"Hi. Don't worry, Cayden's fine," I assured.

She exhaled a relieved breath over the phone.

"He's been very nervous since he came and something has been off about him. Your message just confirmed that. Is something bothering him?" I asked, a knot forming in my stomach.