Chapter 27

"Why do I watch people?" Lauren asked trying to clarify the question, Camila nodded and waited patiently for the answer.

"I've always found other people fascinating, they are all unique and special in their own ways. We tend to brush over that and judge everyone based on the premises we assume are true about them. It makes for misunderstanding and trouble, which is not always intended."

Lauren paused careful in her words. It was one of the things Camila has picked up on, the raven-haired girl always thoughtful of what she said. As if she didn't want anyone to misconstrue her words even if they were said only to Camila.

"We are animals that learn through experience, we have a bad one and our brain will make everything to avoid a repeat of that. It means that we can see something bad happening and end up judging a whole group of people because of that one bad experience we saw. The media is a good example of this, you see certain cases pop up often and you will subconsciously make assertions, many times wrong, about whatever person looks like the bad one shown in the news."

"I get it but I think we are more capable than judging everyone based on the news." Camila said thoughtfully, taking out a banana from her backpack. She wasn't eating lunch there but it wasn't a good idea not to eat anything at all.

"We all are, however, we can't actually control our subconscious thoughts. They come to be and we can act upon them without knowing, that is why I dedicate a lot of my time watching people and getting to know them. Even if it is simply from afar."

Camila thought about it, yes there was always certain bias, she couldn't deny that. That bias being exclusively because of what you saw before was hard to believe.

"I don't know, I still think people are better than that. Also judgement doesn't come simply from watching others."

"No it doesn't." Lauren agreed. "Nevertheless you can't dismiss it because it isn't always the case. If it happens more than once it should be consider, if it happens to more than one person it should be consider, if research shows it happens then it should never be dismiss."

"That makes us sound like assholes Laur, we are better than that." Camila pouted at Lauren's chuckle.

"We are better than that, that is why we use facts when it comes to judging people and don't let our bias reign upon our thoughts of them. You will undoubtedly make assertions some right and some wrong but will be always open to changing your mind on those assertions if proven wrong. Is it the best thing? No, we can't always help ourselves. Biology is something rather hard to beat Camz, you know that."

"Well biology can be an ass sometimes."

"Yes, but we don't have a choice usually when it comes to that. We try our best with what's given."

"I wish sometimes you were less articulate." Camila mumbled under her breath.

"Why?"

"Because... well most people would sound stupid next to you." The younger girl blushed, it wasn't an outright admission but it was implied.

"I don't think so, if anything it makes me sound detached sometimes. I have tried my best to turn it down a little because my siblings kept telling me I sounded older than my parents. It is something that I've always done."

"I guess you are simply an older soul." Camila smiled at the thought. Lauren did seem far older than she was when she talked and with how she acted. To many things hidden behind her politeness.

"I guess I am." Lauren said with a shrug and a smile getting up just in time for the first bell to ring. She offered her hand to help Camila and both started walking towards the History classroom. It was used specifically for the course because it had a small closet with a couple of props that where used to help with the class, that included a couple of historical movies and documentaries that weren't found at the library.