Chapter 37: The Priest

Gaby jolted up on the bed, eyes wide, staring in the dark. 

Dean!  She screamed in her head and pressed a hand over her heart. 

Silence. 

No!  

Desperation took over her.   It felt as if Dean had suddenly... faded away.  

Gaby made sure the kids were peacefully asleep. 

Her feet touched the floor.  Cold.  She stumbled out of the bedroom and hurried to wake Sven.

Sven yanked his bedroom door open before she could even touch the doorknob.   "Dean!"  

Looking exhausted but awake, alert, Sven grabbed Gaby's trembling shoulders. "What happened?  Where is he?"

Gaby grabbed his t-shirt and sunk her face in his chest.  "I... don't know!" 

She, then, stood up straight, pushing herself to try and think clearly.  Her hands wiped the tears that persisted in rolling down her face.

"I need to see Anzu."

Sven couldn't avoid the annoyed expression on his face.   

"Why are you women so fascinated with that asshole?"  He thought aloud.

Gaby glared at him.  "What the hell, Sven?  There's no time for that!" 

She hurried down the corridor with Sven on her heels. 

"Can you call Nikki at the office?  She said she would get us a babysitter for the kids, then come join us at the penthouse. Anzu's the only one that knows... all that we don't!"

Sven sighed hard. "Sure, ok."

Gaby called the elevator. She didn't care if she had crazy bed hair, was barefoot and only wearing one of Dean's large t-shirts.  Bringing the soft cotton close to her nose, she inhaled his familiar woodsy scent.  It was all over her, keeping her sane.  

Gaby closed her eyes.   My beast, where are you?  

A very faint response from Dean came all the way from deep inside of her. 

Gaby groaned in utter despair.

There was no doubt that Dean was in terrible danger.

He was alive, but felt so faint and far away that it was almost as if he was... not here, anymore.

She shook her head because it didn't make any sense... But there was no other possible way to put it into words, was there?

Gaby stormed out of the elevator and Anzu was already waiting for her. 

"What's wrong, Gaby?" He had sensed her agony.

Gaby grabbed his outstretched hands.  "Dean... he's gone!"

Anzu frowned and scratched his head, worrying Gaby even more. 

"What do you mean, gone?" Anzu was at a total loss.

Turning as pale as a ghost, Gaby stared straight into her cousin's pale eyes. "Anzu, tell me you know what happened to Dean, please?" 

The pain inside her was so impossibly strong that she could barely breathe.  Slowly, Gaby slid down to the floor, landing on her knees.

Anzu crouched in front of her, feeling her pain. 

"Tell me what exactly do you feel?"

Helpless, she looked up at him. 

"But..that's exactly it... I just don't.  There's barely a whisper that could be only my imagination playing tricks on me!" 

Reaching out, Gaby grabbed the sleeves of Anzu's custom-made silk shirt. 

"Anzu?"  She pleaded with her eyes. "What's happening?"

Anzu kneeled, placing his hand over her dropped head. He had no idea of what was going on.

This was something very new to him. He needed time to think.

Suddenly, behind them, the elevator door opened and Sven rushed to Gaby. 

Sven couldn't stand seeing Anzu touching his brother's woman. 

"Gaby, come here."  Sven scooped her up gently to deposit her trembling body on the white couch.   

"By the way, you have a visitor."  Sven jerked his head in the direction of the elevator.

Surprised, since he was watching Sven's every step, Anzu turned his head to the entrance.

Hands clasped behind his back, a tall figure all dressed in black, carefully studied the Angel statue. 

"Angel by Rodin...  Even more magnanimous in person." The enigmatic man faced Anzu with his all-knowing gaze.

Anzu smiled and opened his arms to welcome the visitor. 

"Perfect timing, Father Jaime Fafnir!"