Chapter 30: Becca

"Dean? Why haven't you called? Why didn't you answer my calls?" Katherine's voice resonated through the phone with a strident tone. "Are you with her?"

Dean rubbed his wrinkled forehead. "Before anything... Are you ok? The kids?"

Katherine was screaming on the other side. "You haven't even heard my messages? We've been at the Hospital since last night!"

Dean went cold. "What happened?" He could hear Katherine sobbing softly.

"Becca was crying so much again...her teeth, I think." Katherine's voice was breaking up. "I was too tired and let her cry. You weren't here!" She shouted.

Dean squeezed his eyes and dropped down on the nearest chair. Kat had no patience for her own daughter. "Is she alright?"

"They didn't find anything wrong with her..." She said softly.

Dean was confused. "Why are you at the hospital?"

"Dean... She started to scream out of her lungs and I woke up to this horrible crashing and trashing around kind of noise! When I got to her room, she was on the floor. Her crib, destroyed, and smashed all around her!" Katherine started crying again. "I don't know what happened! She had pieces of it in her hands and even in her mouth, but she was finally sound asleep!"

Dean shuddered while picturing it in his mind. "I'll be there in a few hours. Are you sure she is ok?"

Katherine tried to calm down. "Yes, she's in perfect health. I'm taking her home in an hour or so... I'm scared, Dean. What is wrong with her?"

Dean frowned, hating that Kat was the one handling all this with Becca. "I don't know, Kat. I'll be there soon."

Dean hung up the phone, mystified, in shock... Was it possible that his daughter was a Berserker, too? 

He turned to the door to find Gaby standing there, worried. Anzu right behind her.

Dean got up and stumbled but was quickly supported by Gaby that sat him back down.

"Dean, you haven't eaten anything in over twenty-four hours!" Gaby felt his pain.

Dean didn't care. He glared at Anzu. "My children... Berserker?" He sat up, regaining composure. He was furious with himself for bringing all this chaos to his kids... the ones that he wanted to protect more than anything.

Calmingly, Anzu answered. "The gene or blood, passes through the father, only." Anzu remembered hearing Gaby mumbling something about Jernside's daughter, as she ran to the office. "I see that your daughter inherited it. That's rare..." 

Anzu pressed his lips on a thin line and murmured. "Anita Travis..."

Gaby and Dean stared at him.

"What about her?" Gaby asked.

"Anita Travis was a Berserker." Anzu completed.

Dean stared down at his shoes for a moment. "Her eyes were blood red when she charged at us and... I had sensed danger... from her." It explained a lot. 

A sunken feeling took over his stomach. "Becca..." Dean dropped his face into both his hands.

Anzu sighed. "It's rare for a female to inherit it and... often very strong with them. Unfortunately, they are usually misunderstood and diagnosed as schizophrenic or bipolar. And the drugs may make them even more unbalanced and extremely dangerous."

"So we could have helped her if we already knew about it?" Gaby asked with a broken heart.

"It was too late for Anita, but it's not for your daughter." Anzu turned to the door. "I'll have Nikki arrange for immediate transportation to the base. A plane will be ready for..." He looked back. "One or two?" He waited as the agents looked at each other.

"I'm coming with you." Gaby stared at Dean.

"No." Dean glanced at Anzu and mouthed one, and then he grabbed Gaby's hands.

He begged her with his eyes. "I have to face this by myself." He stood up and cupped her face with both hands. "I have to let Kat go and protect my children."

"But it's us now, Dean... together." Gaby let him feel her heart. "They are my family too!"

Dean knew that, but couldn't put her through all of it with him. It was his responsibility. So he closed his eyes and pictured a door closing over his heart, needing to protect Gaby from all that he was about to face.

"No!" Gaby yelled at him, out of her mind with anger.

How was it that both, Anzu and Leo, were able to block themselves from her so easily?

She pushed him away. Furious.

"We both knew that this moment would come, baby." Dean took her in his arms, holding her tighter when she tried to push him away again. "Give me a few days to resolve this."

Gaby dropped her forehead in the middle of his chest for an instant, but then she jerked her head up and owned his lips with hers, claiming his mouth.

(Mine!) She let him know.

Dean responded with matched intensity, opening the door to his heart again, so she could feel his inescapable love and need for her. 

He pushed her over the desk, dropping everything to the floor as Gaby wrapped her long legs around him.

But Dean really needed to go... So, he reluctantly retracted from their kiss and leaned his forehead on hers.

"I have to go, angel." He whispered. Eyes shut.

Leaving her was way too hard.

Gaby brought his face to hers and stared in his eyes. "Come back to me, my beast."

Dean smiled.

(Always, angel.)

Dean dropped one last rough kiss on her mouth before yanking himself from her arms.

All disheveled hair while breathing heavily, Gaby never felt as helpless while Dean rushed out the door in his beastly speed.