Chapter 26: The Truth

Dean slammed the papers on the table and narrowed his eyes at Anzu from over his coffee cup.

"So, you brought us here to tell us that I'm the descendant of some badass Viking?"

Anzu looked at Gabriella that was still immersed in her file. By her looks, she was taking it more seriously than Jernside.

Turning his attention back to Jernside, Anzu realized that he was actually enjoying to be able to talk to someone that would look straight into his eyes. 

"Not any Viking." He leaned forward. "Björn Ironside was a Berserker."

Dean's eyes flashed with recognition and Anzu blinked slowly, eyebrows raised, bobbing his head in confirmation. 

Clearly, there was no need to explain what it meant to be a Berserker. Dean already knew.

Dean released a hard breath. "That's ridiculous." His grandfather had told him many stories. Legendary and crazed warriors. Fearless, with inhuman strength. It was stupid, but Dean loved hearing them, when a boy. He remembered every single one and knew exactly who Björn Ironside was.

Gaby raised her eyes and looked from Dean to Anzu.

"You mean to say that Dean is a Berserker?" She guffawed but stopped when noticing Dean's stern face. "You're not taking this seriously, are you?"

Dean gave her a half shrug. Lips pressed on a firm line, eyes down... He slowly shook his head. 

"I don't really know what to think... I heard many stories... "

Gaby threw her papers on the table, in front of Anzu. Her eyes were filled with outrage. It couldn't be real, but deep in her gut, it felt real... All of it. 

She moved her untouched plate to the side, placing her elbows on the table and dropped her face on the palm of her hands.

"Who am I?"

Anzu leaned back into his chair. They were finally getting somewhere. "Angel."

With no change to her stance. "I know that's what my name means..."

"You. Are. Angel!" Anzu's deep voice reverberated through the large room and Dean and Gaby shuddered, staring at him, and paying him full attention.

"If not for your human half, you'd be more powerful than even I, but you are not." He made sure to elucidate that fact.

The agents' mouths hang wide opened.

Of course, Anzu Lux, the legend, had to be something other than a mere mortal.

"Your father is the great and powerful Gabriel... The archangel." Anzu continued with clear disdain in his eyes.

"My father... was the weak and miserable Gabriel Engel. Not an all powerful divine being!" Gaby exhaled hard, narrowing her eyes, but waiting for him to continue.

Finger pointed at her, Anzu exclaimed: "Exactly! Your father and all the previous mortals before you were too weak! Which is why their lives were reigned by tragedy, blood... but then you came!" Anzu got up abruptly and his chair fell back, slamming on the marble floor. 

He raised his eyebrows. It was unintentional but it added to the whole dramatic flair, anyway. "You dodge bullets, Gabriella!"

Gaby shared a meaningful look with Dean.

"You are a powerful empath. You have never been sick or hurt, and are stronger than any human on earth. Look at you! Tall and slender but covered in lean muscle and agile like a cat. A warrior in every sense of the word."