Settling Down

Alice found that with every passing day, Hatter's house became her home. They would wake up together, they would have breakfast. Then she would go to the physicians and he would go the hat shop and they would work. Alice didn't find herself thinking an awful lot about Hatter at work. This was because she knew, when she got home, that he would be there, making tea for her.

She had never been a fan of routine. But this routine seemed to suit Alice. She found this life easy. She would cook with Hatter and then they would either read, or they would talk, or they would play a game of chess. Then, when they night became late, they would return to sleep. This was the time that Alice savoured the most, when Hatter had his arms around her, nuzzled into her neck. He had let her braid his hair, as it tickled her during her sleep and she found this to be a very relaxing task.

Their domestic bliss seemed to be the talk of Wonderland, and it seemed a lot of people thought it was not going to work, that they were two very strong characters, and making it work could be tricky. But they had defied most people's expectations and they made each other very happy.

Hatter could not have been in more bliss. Alice was such a wonderful addition to his life. Seeing her waltz about cooking and cleaning, and watching her read was the most joyful activity for Hatter. He loved when she braided his hair, and he returned the favour by washing her hair every weekend. He adored the intimacy of this act.

This was the only kind of intimacy that they had. Hatter was unsure what the customs were in Alice's land, but there were no strict rules about intimacy once a couple were living with one another. He had urges, when he would lay with Alice, and he was sure that she felt them as he laid, pressed against her. But, she had never pulled away, or been uncomfortable with it, and this was a very good sign for Hatter.

Their evenings recently had been filled with planning their party. They had agreed to have a small affair, by Alice's request. They were going to have games in the garden, food in the living room and tea, lots of tea. Hatter rather liked the sound of so much tea, so he counted down the days before he could welcome his guests.

Alice smoothed her hair one final time before the first guest arrived. It was the March Hare. Thackery came in and for a short while, it was just like any other tea party. But then, more and more people began to arrive and the outdoor games had begun, while Alice was taking tea with Mirana and Hatter was playing a game of chess. Everything became very hectic very quickly.

However, all of the comotion came to a halt when Mirana called for a toast.
"A toast to this wonderful couple, who have passed through worlds to find one another. May we offer them peace and bliss." Everyone toasted and Hatter and Alice shared a look.

Alice answered questions as to when they were getting married rather coyly, stating she was unsure. Hatter loved a party, but he was glad when almost everyone was gone. He saw how uncomfortable the crowds made Alice. So he was glad to when it was back to just them, cooking dinner, for the select few guests who had stayed.

They laid together that night Alice sighed.
"I like it far better when it is just you and I." She told him and he squeezed her a little tighter.
"I think I am beginning to feel the same way." Hatter told her and she smiled.
"Well, the next time we need a party is for the wedding and that won't be for a little while. So, it is just you and I until then." She told him and he smiled at the thought, not being able to imagine a person he would like to be with more than Alice.