The Announcement

The dinner was set and Hatter had never felt so light in his life. It was going to be announced that he was to begin courting Alice. He knew that she might not enjoy the public nature of it. But that was just how things were done in Wonderland.

Alice was unsure why the Queen was holding a large fancy dinner in the middle of the year. There was no occasion she could think of. But any excuse to be merry was good enough for Alice.

Mirana was unsure if she should tell Alice before the dinner, that she was going to announce the courtship of her and Hatter. But Mirana loved surprises, so she decided not to tell Alice.

The tables were set and the wine had been poured and guests began to flood into the hall. Alice nodded at Hatter when she saw him and he beamed at her in a way that she could not understand. But, nevertheless, she sat down and tried to focus on anything but Tarrant.

Mirana called the crowd to a hush.
"Please, everyone. I have an announcement to make!" The room buzzed with anticipation and Hatter began to wonder if he had made the right decision.
"I am delighted to announce the courtship of our very own Alice, with Tarrant Hightopp!" She announced and the room exploded in applause. Mr Hollinger was the only man unhappy, throwing his napkin down in anger.

Alice felt her world grind to a halt. What was happening? Everyone was congratulating her for something she had no idea about. She felt a glaze form over her eyes and felt herself speak to Mirana, excusing herself.

She ran and ran, until she found herself in the gardens. She had not wanted this, this public display was exactly what she had hated about her world, why she had come to Wonderland in the first place. She sighed, pacing, with her head in her hands. She cared for Hatter, but this was all too fast. She couldn't understand it.

Hatter sighed when he saw Alice run out of the room. He could have gone after her, but he saw no use. He had done what he thought was right, and had still gotten in wrong. He took off his hat and sat in his seat, in the pit of despair.

It was the March Hare that went after Alice. He found her in the garden, pacing, tears streaming down her face. Thackery sighed, it had all been pressed on the girl.
"Alice?" He gained her attention and smiled when he saw her look down at him with large, disbelieving eyes.
"Let us sit a while." He told her and she followed him to the bench.

Alice was glad that it was Thackery who had come for her.
"Thackery, I don't understand why everything is so hard." She told him and he asked her to explain.
"I didn't want this. All I wanted was for Hatter to spend more time with me. All this pomp, all this attention, it is madness." She sighed.

Thackery placed a hand over hers.
"I thought you learnt last time Alice, we're all mad here." He told her and she smiled down at him.
"But I am not mad." She chuckled through her tears.
"Maybe not as much as the rest of us. But you have to be a little mad to come back here." She chuckled.
"Perhaps you are right." She shook her head, sighing.
"Tarrant did the right thing. This is how we do things in Wonderland. He has put a lot on the line announcing a courtship with you." He told her and Alice didn't understand.
"He has told all of Wonderland that he has the intention of one day marrying you." He told her and Alice felt herself gasp.
"Do you really think he cares that much?" She asked him.
"He would not have gone to the Queen if he did not." He told her. She squeezed his hand, before rushing back to the hall.

Hatter was shocked when he saw Alice enter the hall again. She made her apologies, saying she felt faint.
"We all get that way when our courting is first announced, my dear." One of the older ladies told her and she smiled. Hatter watched her. She did not talk to him, but she also did not disregard the courtship. She nodded and said how happy the announcement made her. He sighed, wondering if maybe, for once, he had done the right thing.

Once the dancing began, after the meal, Alice pulled Hatter into a corner and looked up at him with those eyes that always made him feel guilty.
"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked and he looked down at his shoes.
"It is not how things are usually done, for the woman to know." He told her. Alice was quickly realising that she had a lot to learn about Wonderland culture.
"But you surely knew that I would not have known that." She told him and he sighed.
"I just wanted to do things properly." He told her and she sighed.
"I understand that. I just wish you had told me." She said and things seemed to reach an impasse.

Alice sent a sliver of a smile up to Hatter.
"I am glad that you asked the Queen. That you took what I said seriously." She told him and he gazed down at her with deep affection in his look.
"I always take what you say seriously Alice. I just had to tell myself that I can come to deserve you." He told her and she took his hand.
"Well, I suppose that is good enough for now." She smiled up at him and Hatter felt himself grow light as a feather.

Mirana watched on as Alice and Tarrant made up. She was sure, if they could get on the same page, that they would be one of the finest couples in all of Wonderland. She knew that he wanted to remain traditional. But Alice was not from Wonderland, and he was going to have to adapt himself in order to truly please her.