Moving Together

Hatter walked along with a case under each arm, as Alice walked along with a few pots.
"Hatter, are you sure you wouldn't like me to take some-"
"No Alice, I am quite fine, thank you." He interrupted her. Alice could see that he was showing off in front of her and she didn't mind so much, so long as it kept him happy.

It all seemed to sink in when Alice was stood in the living room of Hatter's home. It was all so wonderfully organised and decorated, Alice couldn't quite imagine anyone lived here. She sat down on the orange sofa, while Hatter made a pot of tea.
"Maybe we could get a cat? I remember you saying that you were fond of them." Alice thought back to Tina. It was true, she did adore cats, and she was sure that it would be wonderful to own a cat with Hatter. She sat and pondered what colour cat she might like, as Hatter poured the tea.

They discussed the logistics of their party. Apparently, it was customary to have a party when a couple begin living together. Hatter wanted a big, fancy shindig. But Alice wanted a smaller affair, with the people they knew and cared for. Hatter had to grit his teeth, but he allowed her this. He was sure that she would allow a little more wiggle room for the wedding, and he had to keep his hopes on that.

Alice hung up her dresses in Hatter's wardrobe and chuckled, thinking she was the only woman in all of Wonderland who had fewer clothes than the man she lived with. They sat down to dinner and Alice sighed, as quietly as she could, but Hatter still heard.
"It will get easier, I promise. I am sure that you will forget about your old place, once they get a new physician in." Alice felt her world grind to a halt. A new physician? She had no idea what he meant, so she asked him.
"Well of course, you cannot continue to work, once we have a family." Hatter shook his head, as he brought another spoonful of soup up to his lips. Alice couldn't blieve what she was hearing. This was the reason that she had left her world, so that she might have some freedom. But it seemed that Hatter was planning on taking that away.
"I intend to keep working as long as Wonderland needs me." She set him straight.
"But Alice, what about when children come along?" Alice felt her face flush with anxiety, this was all moving too fast.
"I shall still work then, perhaps fewer hours, but I will still work. I cannot believe that you want me to sit at home and do nothing!" Alice was impassioned now. She was furiously upset.

Hatter looked up at Alice with confusion on his face. He could not understand why she was so angry.
"The bloody reason I left my own world was so that I could have a life, a job, something of my own. Not just a husband who orders me around and makes me pop out children every nine months!" She shook her head.
"Perhaps we have moved too fast." She stood and Hatter began to panic.
"Alice no, we can discuss this." He shook his head, frantic.
"No, there is no discussion to be had. I am going to go and stay at my home, maybe you can have some time to think." Alice stood and left him alone. Hatter couldn't understand what he had done wrong. It was usual for women to leave their jobs once they settled down. But, he was learning the Alice was not the usual woman. It was the reasons that he loved her so much that were making her so hard to love.

Alice sat in her armchair and stared at nothing in particular. She felt her lower lip wobble. She had never thought that Hatter would say such things so calmly, without any thought. She shook her head and took herself to bed. There was nothing left to say, or think about, at least not tonight. So she laid her head against her pillow and let one tear fall.

Hatter couldn't sleep, he didn't know what to do. He decided that he had to speak to another powerful woman, to someone like Alice, so he could know what to do.

He found himself at the palace. It was known that Mirana was not prepared to marry a man who would possess her or belittle her, so Hatter thought she would be the perfect person to seek advice from.
"Oh Hatter, why did you say that?" She asked, shaking her head.
"But, your Majesty, you know that is how things are usually done." He pleaded to her and she sighed.
"Yes, but surely you knew that Alice was not going to give up her vocation?" She asked him and he felt his face turn pink.
"I didn't know, I thought maybe she would want to give it up, to be a mother." He admitted and Mirana shook her head.
"Maybe she would have, but you cannot push Alice into that decision, she must make it herself." Mirana told him.
"What is to be done?" He asked her and Mirana thought for a moment.
"You must go and talk to her. Explain how you feel. It is the only way." She told him and Hatter sighed, knowing that she was right.

Alice didn't want to answer the door when she heard the knock. She knew that it would be Hatter. But, it would be rude not to speak with him, so she let him in. They sat in silence, sat opposite one another.
"Alice, I need to apologise. I keep forgetting that you are not a normal woman from Wonderland." He told her and looked down at his hands.
"Is that what you want me to be?" Alice asked and Hatter shook his head.
"No, Alice, not at all, else I would be with one of the normal women. I am just trying so hard to do this right, but I am unsure how when our relations defy tradition." Alice understood, there was no rule book for her, or what she wanted in life.
"Hatter, all I want is for you to ask me what I want. Not to tell me." She told him and he nodded,
"Yes, I should have never imposed the idea of children on you, it is not fair." He told her and she sighed, seeing how upset he was.
"Hatter, this is not going to be easy, because I am not prepared to sit at home and look after countless children. I do want to get married, and I do want children, but I also want to continue with my profession, my career." She told him and he nodded.
"Then that is what you shall have." He told her and she could see, looking into his eyes, that he meant it.

That night they slept in Hatter's bed for the first time and Hatter smiled, feeling her warmth beside him. He knew now that the key to happiness with Alice was communication, and he was determined to communicate with her about everything. Because the only thing that he wanted was for Alice to be happy.