Alice tied the laces of her boots tight, feeling a tightness in her chest also. She smoothed her hair and pulled at the waistband of her dress. Her feet were heavy as she made her way out into the garden, her hands twitched and her breath was quick.

She saw him before he saw her. She hid behind the square bush and peered her head around, before jumping back. He was just as she remembered him. Large orange bushy hair with an exquisite hat, as per usual. A charming bowtie and a terrified look on his face to match. Wait, no that didn't seem right. Alice looked again. Yes, the Hatter looked absolutely terrified. This made her nerves dampen a little. Perhaps if he was scared as well they might be as bad as each other. So, she took a step out into the garden, head held high.

When he saw her, Hatter stood and took off his hat, clutching it to his chest. It was impossible, her being here. She should have stayed in her world, where she belonged. But she hadn't. Alice had returned and Hatter couldn't quite fathom why.
"Hello, Hatter." Her voice was as clear as a bell. Hatter was taken aback, his eyes on her lips, so infatuated that he had to rip himself away.
"Alice, it is so wonderful to see you again." He replied, his voice far too excited.

Alice smiled at Hatter, sitting on the right corner of his head chair. The silence hung in the air for a short while.
"The Queen sent her apologies, for not being here." Alice began.
"I am rather shocked that even you are here, Alice." Hatter blurted out before thinking. Alice looked up from her hands in that moment.
"I am not sure what you mean." She replied, shaking her head.
"Well, it is rather impossible that you have returned." He explained.
"I could not remain in my world any longer." Alice whispered and Hatter understood.
"I understand." He comforted her, smiling in a way he hadn't since she had left.

Alice had not seen such a smile since she had been in the human world. It was a sight for sore eyes.
"Should I pour the tea?" Hatter asked, reaching for the pot.
"No, I shall pour it today." Alice brushed her hand over his to take the pot from him. Hatter was taken aback. Alice had never offered to pour the tea before, but Alice was now a woman, in every sense of the word. Her touch sent a shiver down his spine and the look of her staring mischievously at him with those large brown doe eyes rendered him useless as he agreed for her to pour his tea.

Alice poured the tea elegantly, ensuring not to overfill the cups.
"Do you still make hats for the Queen?" She asked, sipping on her tea.
"Yes, and many other people in Wonderland." The Hatter boasted.
"I am glad. Your hats always were the finest." She muttered to herself but the Hatter heard and felt his cheeks burn as they blushed.
"And what shall you do now that you have returned to Wonderland, Alice?" Hatter asked.
"I'm going to be a Doctor." Alice had not made her mind up until the statement left her mouth. The Hatter was very impressed.
"That is fascinating. So no more quests for you?" He jested.
"Not unless I am needed." Alice replied.
"I feel i have done my fair share of questing." She added.
"That is very true, very true indeed." The Hatter responded.
"And shall you live with the Queen?" He asked.
"I do hope not. I should hope for a place of my own." Alice stated, wanting to move out of the Queen's palace and begin work as soon as the Queen saw fit.

The Hatter had found he had run out of things to say.
"This tea is rather wonderful." Alice admired his blend and the Hatter took this opportunity to tell her about the blend and the process of making it. Alice sat and listened carefully. She loved listening to Hatter babble on about his tea, he was so fascinating once he became passionate about a subject. The way he slurped his tea between frantic sentences made Alice giggle and this caused the Hatter to smile. He had not heard her giggle since she had left.

However, the mood soon dipped when Alice looked at Hatter with large doe eyes.
"Hatter, I have heard of how sad you were when I left. I am sorry. You must know that I never wanted to leave you." She placed her hand over his and he looked down at the ground.
"I didn't know anything. You were just gone and never coming back." He remembered out loud.
"Well, I am back now and I am not going anywhere. We can be friends again." She smiled at him, but he did not look back. Alice wanted to be friends, but Hatter could not deny what he felt for her, the feeling that was much more than friendship, the feeling that had made him so upset when she had left.
"It will take time." He whispered and Alice smiled.
"I know. But I am willing to put in the time if you are." She continued to look at him until he finally looked up into her eyes. How could he deny her? It was Alice, his Alice. Even if she was not his completely, she meant the world to Hatter. He nodded, unsure how to articulate his feelings.

Tea time was almost over and Hatter wished he could stay longer with Alice. But he knew it was not proper to do so.
"Alice. Would you come and have tea with me tomorrow, at my home?" He asked and Alice felt her cheeks warm from the request.
"Yes, if you shall have me." She smiled.
"Always." He whispered and once again, it was just Hatter and Alice, it was how it was before. Alice knew that it would take time to win the Hatter's trust back, but she was willing to put in the work for her dearest friend.