Chapter 9

Soundtrack: Good Riddance (time of your life) by Green Day

Payton

Mark looked at me with a small smile as his hands wrapped around my waist, "have a good time back home, yeah?"

Our tour was finally over after what seemed like it lasted forever, but flew by all at once and we were readying to go home for two weeks.

"I will. And Mark?" I paused, looking at him, studying his eyes, his lips, his cheeks, everything about the face I may never see in person again, "Thank you for everything."

"I told you, I'm always here." He reached a hand to my face and pushed my hair back behind my ear, "So...do we tell people we've broken up or not?"

"Not yet." I shook my head, "I really can't be dealing with the press. I want to enjoy my time at home, not getting hounded by everyone. If that's okay."

He nodded and gave a quick, short, quiet laugh, "I was going to say the same thing. We'll tell people after the two weeks is over."

"I really hope you find your girl, Mark. You deserve someone who can love you the way I can't."

"And I hope you and Reid find your way back to each other. If you can't I hope you'll be happy whatever you do at least." his smile was genuine as he looked at me, and it made it suck a little more that I couldn't love him the way he deserved to be, "So, what are you going to do with your time off?"

"Nothing much, really. See my grandparents, hang with the girls, hang out at the store. Our manager and Shane made a deal while they were there in Devon. He's hosting the four of us for a day, and we're going to do a short acoustic set. Help him out a little and give us some publicity. We already got two songs written that are going on the new album, so we're going to play one, as you know, a teaser."

"That sounds pretty awesome! Your friends are certainly some characters. You'll be fine with them around, of that, I have no doubt."

"Yeah, they're pretty amazing." I smiled, my mind on Shane, Jay, Caleb and Dan.

It had been amazing when they hauled it over to Devon and spent the day with us. I couldn't wait to go home and see them again. I guess I never really realized how much I'd missed them before now.

"You got this, Payton. You're one hell of a powerful woman. Just make sure no matter what, you're happy."

"I'll get there, the same goes for you Mr." I poked his chest lightly with my forefinger and grinned.

"Payton! We got to go!" Lydia yelled from the door of our bus, waiting to take us home.

"One last kiss for the road?" Mark looked at me, his eyes full in hope.

I chuckled softly, before leaning up to press my lips to his, letting it linger. We kept it sweet as he pulled me closer, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We allowed it to continue for a moment longer before we pulled away with bittersweet smiles. "Good luck. Just don't be a stranger, okay?"

"Same goes for you, bye Mark." I pulled out of his arms, taking a step back, taking one last look at the man who had helped me get through the past months. More than even he realized.

"Bye, Payton." I leaned over and kissed his cheek swiftly before I walked towards the bus. With one last smile, I stepped inside, closing the door so we could begin our journey home.

----

The first week home had been a bit of a blur. We had the hosting day at the store and my grandparents, and I had gone over to Penzance for three days, too. We hopped over to the Isle of Scilly for one of the days, and it was beyond beautiful. It was so peaceful, serene, and the beaches were clean and well kept.