8- I Can See It

"My name is Ygraine Pendragon."

~

Arthur reeled backwards in shock, stumbling over his own feet. His blue eyes were wide with disbelief and denial. 

"But- but that's not possible. My mother died giving birth to me, there's no way she's still alive."

"Who told you that, your father?" Ygraine smiled at her son, not unlike the way a snake would look at a mouse. "He lied to make himself look better, he covered up what really happened in an attempt to hide who he truly was. Uther Pendragon was nothing more than heartless tyrant." She spat. Ygraine's teeth were bared in an unladylike snarl as she muttered unrepeatable curses directed at Uther.

While Arthur knew that his father wasn't the most kind and honourable man, he had never made him out to be the monster that this woman - possibly his mother - was describing.

"Even if anything you're saying right now is true, how could I believe you? You have no proof."

Ygraine chuckled. "Maybe so, but what's to say that I'm not lying?"

Arthur remembered back to when Morgause agreed to grant him one wish in return for his loyalty. The woman standing before him was identical to the illusion she had cast, to her sweet heart shaped face, her bright blue eyes and the pale blonde waves of her hair. But that was a spell, wasn't it? That wasn't real.

For the first time in a while, Arthur was frozen. Stuck, unable to move his unresponsive limbs, a heavy weight crushing his chest. An invisible pressure clawed at his throat, its fingers burning hot but simultaneously freezing cold. Welcomingly, the ground beckoned to him.

Arthur just wanted everything to be normal. He wanted Merlin to be a normal servant, he wanted Morgana to be his sister again, and he wanted Ygraine to go away. What was he supposed to do? His father was gone, he was all alone.

"Sire?" Merlin strode into the throne room, eyeing the unfamiliar woman. Maybe he wasn't so alone after all.

"What's going on?" Merlin continued to stare curiously at the proud fair haired woman standing in the throne room like she belonged in the royal castle.

"This woman claims to be Ygraine Pendragon, my mother."

Merlin blinked. What? If Merlin's head was even the tiniest bit in the clouds before, it definitely wasn't now. His 'Arthur's possible enemies radar' was up and running, and let's just say, it's rarely wrong.

Ygraine tipped her head to side as she watched Merlin study her with slight suspicion, a coy smile playing on her lips. "You two seem close." Ygraine gestured loosely to Merlin. *gay silence* Merlin continued to stare down Ygraine, a potential threat, while she dismissed him with her looks of amusement.

What Arthur said to Ygraine, Merlin didn't know. The sound of blood pounding through his ears stifled the conversation to muffled murmurs; anything that was said rendered insignificant. This was Morgana's doing, he knew it. The dark magic clinging onto Ygraine couldn't be missed, and the spell was unmistakably Morgana's cold and powerful aura. Deciding it was best not to say anything, Merlin kept his mouth shut. Instead, he bowed politely to Ygraine.

"It's an honour to have you here in Camelot, I will have my servant make you a room."

"Thank you Arthur, your kindness and hospitality is appreciated." Her long hair swishing and glowing in the silver light, she stepped forward and kissed him on the cheek. "My son." Her eyes shone with love as her hand cupped the prince's face.

~

Of course, Merlin followed Ygraine to her room. Like he was going to let the suspicious woman who reeked of dark magic and claimed to be Arthur's 'dead' mother stay in Camelot unchecked. She made dull and polite conversation with Arthur's serving boy while he showed her to her room, but it was obvious that her heart wasn't in it. Tobias bowed to her and left.

Instantly, her facade melted away, and she stalked into her chambers, scanning the hallways for any sign of prying eyes. Merlin found it funny when people acted so strangely. If they just walked around normally for once, maybe no one would follow them. Duh.

The only barricade between Merlin and Ygraine now was the door. That quickly wasn't a problem anymore when Merlin uttered a spell and the door vanished from view to everyone's eyes but Merlin's. A shimmering window was floating in the room, the air around it warped, stretched, and bulged unnaturally. The face inside the window was glinting with mischief and malice, her dark smile fuelled by the joy she took in creating chaos and strife.

"Master." Ygraine murmured, her head bowed low in deep respect and adoration.

"I see you have infiltrated the castle." Morgana sneered. "Has Arthur fallen for our trick?"

"He is still unsure what to believe, but that won't be a problem for much longer."

Ygraine's face was unrecognisable as what Merlin had seen earlier. Now, her once sweet features were contorted into an ugly creature of hate and revenge; nothing but the sour taste of bitterness in her heart. Morgana's doing, Merlin supposed. He couldn't be sure, but Merlin suspected that Ygraine was conjured somehow by Morgana to do the dirty work for her. How exactly, he didn't know, but she reeked too strongly of dark magic to be acting of her own accord.

"Good." Morgana's thin mouth turned upwards in approval. "Arthur will be all too happy to embrace the mother he once thought dead." She muttered to herself, toying with the chain fastened around her slender, pale neck.

"Once you gain his trust, he will be all to easy to bend to our will. Arthur trusts too easily, that will always be his downfall." The High Priestess spat out her brother's name like phlegm; Morgana had always thought of Arthur as weak, and just how easily he was letting Ygraine into the castle only strengthened her opinion.

"To know Arthur's every move, this is perfect." Triumphantly, she looked at Ygraine, her watery eyes shining maniacally.

"I can see it. I can see it, Ygraine. My crown is in sights."

~

Ok, so that's done. Dunno if it was worth the wait, but it's done.  Sorry this took ages, I was on holidays and feeling lazy. If this story was worth reading, I'd appreciate a vote or something because I have lost faith in my writing. If it was terrible, feel free to comment some constructive criticism, that'd be great. And thank you you to those who do comment, it really makes my day, I love reading your comments x

I think I'll take a bit of a break, so don't expect the next chapter to come out straight away or anything. :)

Have a nice day/night

-Peter x