II [Edited]

Anna's eyes opened suddenly. She started gasping for air, her lungs burned for oxygen.

Her forest green eyes adjusted to the dim light in her house. The only true light was the moon and the rest was a small fire she didn't recall lighting. The fire was dying slowly, its flames were decreasing in height due to the lack of attention they had received. The hungry flames licked at the last piece of log that lay upon them until it was eaten away and the flames finally died out.

She shook lightly as a slight chill ran down her spine.

"Just a dream," she whispered.

She rose to a height of about six foot nine inches due to her horrible habit of slouching. It had curved her spine permanently, a defect better known as scoliosis. It had also distorted the bone column slightly but she honestly never cared about her well-being; all she cared about was staying alive, even if it was just barely getting by with some food every few days. At the time, that's all she could really afford. However, she did own a small garden in that little coven of her own. She grew tomatoes, pumpkins, strawberries, an apple tree, and a few honeysuckle bushes to top it all off.

She stumbled into the kitchen, her stomach roaring to life with hunger. "Lets see what we got," she said under her breath, as if she were only to speak to the internal organ.

Anna opened up the pantry door where a few fruits and vegetables stood. Food was sparse, and with winter rapidly approaching, there was even less.

She gripped an apple, taking a large chunk out of it with dagger-like teeth. Juice dribbled down her chin and was wiped away by her arm as she walked back to the living room. She flopped down onto the couch and reached underneath, pulling out a small book of nursery rhymes. She then dusted off the cover and gave a small sigh of nostalgia for the memories with her mother, who was murdered after being found as a human.

She pulled the book close then opened it. The old pages smelled of dust and crackles with the slightest touch of her nimble fingers. She cracked a smile as her eyes ran over the poetic tales. She flipped to the page she read most often as a child. It was worn and yellow from time eating at it like a parasite. Her eyes scanned over the story as she read it aloud.

'The six flowers of the field's grass thick
Are what the children love to pick

The first is red and covered with thorn,
The next is violet as the morn

The third is gold with a beautiful glow,
The next is white, as pure as snow

The fifth is black as the moonless night
The last is blue, a shade of delight

These six flowers are put on a shelf
And each flower shows the child's true self

The red is for the strong, ready to defend
The violet is for the shy, the quietest friend

The gold is for the thinker, a mind with gall
The white is for the healer, sweetest of all

The black is for the spy, with the quickest feet
The blue is for the friendly, the first to greet

The six friends shall work together
And they shall become close by a tether

Each child has their own beautiful flower
And each one has their own unique power

Through tedious trials these children shall rise
To meet someone new with beautiful eyes

These children are ready, need not have fear
For these children are ready to hear

The call to their journey is one for few
For all who pick flowers shall begin life anew'

The poem was her favorite in the whole book. Her childhood friend, Clara, showed her that poem before she had to leave and return to her home- wherever that was. Anna read the poem on a daily basis; almost religiously.

She finished off her apple and threw the core into a nearby trash bin, then let her mind run free and think of why this was in a children's book. 'I wonder if this poem was written about  some kids and their personalities and love for certain flowers... I honestly like the sound of that golden flower, myself,' Anna thought. She let her mind gallivant about. Spontaneous thoughts penetrated then retreated from her brain as she stared off into the distance, unaware of anything going on around her and the shack of a home she lived in.

A knock at the door awoke her from her inner comatose and she stood once more, wobbling over to the door due to the lack of oxygen had influenced her legs into filling with pins and needles. She opened the door and there stood the girl from her dream.

The brunette could never forget the snow white hair, or the ocean blue eyes. The dress she wore held every wrinkle and detail of the simple white dress. The lace border was still there with the same intricate pattern that she witnessed in her dream. She was just as beautiful as the previous visit, except, this time it was real.

Anani's mouth fell to the floor in shock. The girl raised her voice even though it was still soft like a rabbit's footfall. "H-Hello there. D-Do you have anything to help me out momentarily? I s-seem to have a bad back." She was reluctant to help the girl but something held her tongue back from telling her to get lost, instead she replied with, "Let me see it first." The nameless girl complied and turned.

Anna gasped with slight horror as the back was revealed. Her back was skinned, several knives stuck out as if she was a pushpin of weapons. A few chunks were also missing, as if it had been ripped out by a beast of the forest. Her eyes took in the other's back, studying the small whites of bones she saw. 'It must've been a.... Shit. What hurt her? This doesn't look like anything I've seen before. It's not like I look for animals that could quite possibly destroy or murder me. Besides, where did all of these knives come from? Did someone try to assassinate her?'

Anna yanked the girl inside of her house and laid her down on the kitchen table. "Don't move." She said in a low voice, throwing in a growl to threaten keep the girl from moving anymore.

Anna couldn't bare losing the girl that made her heart stop and came to her in dreams. The girl was so... fascinating. So beautiful. 'How was she able to find me in my dreams? And then come to my home hours after I had that dream,' Anna thought.

She then ran to her bathroom and gathered the necessary supplies to heal the girl and save her life. Gauze, mint, vilangra- a leaf that stopped bleeding gradually, a small sewing kit, orpthrone- an endangered plant that blooms once a year that increases skin, muscle, tissue, and any sort of flesh wound growth ten-fold for major injuries, and some dryuk saliva for dulling the pain slightly were all retrieved in a quick run to the bathroom.

"You better still be there!" She roared viciously.

She rushed back in to the room to find the girl unconscious with puddles of blood pooling on the floor.