XII

"Sir? You're awfully quiet..."

The silence smelled of death and the general felt as if his lungs had already been punctured by a bullet.

"... sir?"

A hand launched at him and grabbed ahold of his throat. His airway was constricted by the ice cold ligament and he could feel his heartbeat pounding, pounding against his skull as his lack of oxygen sent his body into a sort of panic-mode. He flailed about, accidentally slapping the man who had ahold of his throat.

General Bernard Baron collapsed to the floor and gasped for air like a fish out of water. He choked on the air he was taking in as he stared up at his superior. Fear filled his veins and he swore that with each second Monroe looked down upon him, his heartbeat slowed until it was at a complete stop.

"She escaped! How could you let the most dangerous terrorist in this country escape?! That is under your watch, Baron and you completely fucked it up! She is a Level One offender, you know what that means, yes?"

Bernard's eyes went wide with horror as he stared up at Monroe. He was unaware that Anna Jiro was a Level One offender.

He gulped and nervously stood up. "Y-Yes sir." He stuttered. "A Level One offender is a CFT, capture for torture. If anyone kills a L.O.O., they are killed in turn. If anyone lets a L.O.O. escape, they are," Bernard paused, eyes going wide in realization.

"They are what, Baron?"

"... k-killed, sir. No questions asked."

"That's right, Baron."

"No questions a-"

Bernard was unable to finish his question, for Monroe pulled out a gun, cocked it, and shot him directly in his frontal lobe. His body crumpled to the ground as the gunshot rang out like a bell that further showed the strict rule that the country was under as long as Monroe kept each and every citizen filled with terror.

"Ma-," the receptionist began and quickly corrected herself, "Monsieur Monroe? Your two o'clock is here," she said into her small microphone.

The capital was the only city in the world that actually had power, while only certain buildings in Operation: W.A.R.P had power. The rest of the buildings and deteriorated structures had their electrics removed so there would be less of a survival rate among rebels and citizens of the dying country.

"Send whoever it is up. Along with a janitor. We have a Code White."

Monroe had concocted a book of color-coded alerts in case anything happened to him or another person inside or outside of his office. Though, the main reason why he came up with it was because he killed so many soldiers and officers on a regular basis, he needed a constant supply of janitors to clean up his arguments-gone-awry.

"Y-Yes sir! Of course sir! Both the janitor and your two o'clock are on their way up. Have a wonderful afternoon, sir."

He sighed and glanced around the foul-smelling room. He knew that killing people was morally wrong, but he had no morals. He had no conscience whatsoever, and only knew when to stop if his right hand man, Jackson Dollyhigh, said anything about it.

Monroe was a very difficult man with very few friends that were just as difficult as he was- maybe a bit more difficult than he was. Among his friends were the Minho twins, Corbin, who had been mercilessly murdered by Winnie Okan and Donald, who was still missing after an encounter with Anna Jiro many years ago. Then, there was Lincoln Gavin, a very irritating jackass that had one of the biggest superiority complexes that Monroe had ever seen, but the diabolical ruler didn't mind. Lastly, Jackson Dollyhigh. He met Jackson when they were just children, along with when he met the country's most infamous killer, Anna Jiro. The trio were good friends until Anna was whisked away one day and never seen or heard from again- until now. Monroe managed to remain friends with Jackson throughout the years without Anna at his side, and now he was seeking revenge.