Chapter 36

CHAPTER 36

As if this day hasn't had enough challenges, Beth informs me that Andy Pemberton has requested a meeting with him at his ERT Power office here in Washington. Oh well, how much worse can things get?I think as I summon my driver.

"Actually, Mr. Pemberton called, saying he'll be here shortly," his secretary informs me when she escorts me into his office waiting area.

Taking a moment to reflect, I look out the window of this enormous high-rise, down at the hustle and bustle below. Westgale's words of despair pound in my mind like the wrecking ball I see across the street: "Once so powerful. Soon so powerless." I think of recent events, and in particular, of Anya Ahar, a young woman who gave up everything to rejuvenate this country and help me win the presidency. A presidency it appears is only hypothetical now. I just hope that whenever Anya looks at the Liberty Bell pendant I gave her, she'll realize that her sacrifices were not made in vain.

"Hello, Nicole," Andy says. His greeting serves as an instant stop button in my mind. "Come on in," he adds, leading me into his luxurious office. He seems different. More serious than usual.

"So tell me, Andy, did you invite me here to gloat over your recent MAA triumph?" I say, plopping down into the leather chair before his desk. He looks at me, his face expressionless. His mischievous grin must be trapped somewhere behind that empty stare. "Aren't you going to brag about finally making a better castle?" Again, he blankly looks into my eyes. "Talk to me, Andy. What's going on?"

"I've had enough of this place, Nicole," he says, throwing his hands up in the air. "I just found out that behind my back, for the last few months, my uncle's had his staff working on an ERT business plan titled 'A Broken America.' It's taken me long enough, but I've come to learn that money and power are all that matter to that man, and he couldn't care less about the well-being of this country. Now, I know you probably think that's me as well, but let me assure you, it's not."

"So, are you planning to leave all this behind?" I quip, looking around at the office.

"Yeah, it's time. I've come to realize that I've been chasing something that's not real. This lust for power people like my uncle and Gerald Levin share is just an illusion. An illusion that slowly tears away at our heart and soul, leaving us empty," he explains solemnly. "I need to live my life and stop searching for something that doesn't exist."

I'm left speechless, instantly realizing Andy's speaking from the heart.

"But before I do, I need to complete one final project."
"Does this somehow involve me?" I ask with trepidation.
"It most certainly does. That matter we spoke about a few weeks

back—well, it wasn't easy, but with the help of some associates in Australia I found the solution we're looking for," he replies. His expression quickly changes from sullen to cheerful as he turns on his flash-screen and explains.

***

At the headquarters of the former Pinian government, Shadow is meeting with delegates from the World Coalition. Gathered outside, thousands of everyday citizens fervently chant his name. "Judging by the overall reaction of the Pinian people, it's very clear you're the man they want in command," one of the delegates says to Shadow.

"And I'd be elated to take on such a prestigious position, provided it is acquired under a democratic process," Shadow says as he leans out a window and salutes the crowd. The crowd roars back with applause.

Leaving the building through a back exit, Shadow and Jessica make their way to the hospital to visit Ulu.

"I really can't wait to see her," Jessica exclaims.