Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

Before most of my time will be occupied with Anya's hearing, I realize it's vital for my presidential campaign to gain as much momentum as possible. I've been traveling so much the last few days that it's been difficult sometimes to remember where exactly I am. While Gerald Levin's been busy getting his message out on the West Coast, my focus has been on the east. This evening is my third in a row speaking at Summit University in New York City.

Before I take the podium, Jessica Westgale approaches me backstage. "Wow, Nicole, you're really packing them in," she says, looking out at the audience from behind the curtain.

"Jessica, I'm glad you're here. This is excellent timing," I tell her. "My father's been wanting to speak with you."

"Oh?"
"Hold on, he's right over there," I say as I wave him over to us. He finishes up a conversation with the dean of the school and

comes over.
"Hey, Jessica, how was your trip home?" Dad asks her.
"For such a long flight, and considering the fact that flying sure

isn't one of my favorite pastimes, I'm just glad it went as well as it did," Jessica replies in her usual cheerful manner.

"Congratulations on the incredible work you performed in Pinia. What you and your team have accomplished is very impressive," Dad tells her.

"Thank you, sir. It really means a lot to me to give back."

"I realize that, and that's why I'd love for you to head up my new foundation."

Jessica hesitates a moment. "You'll have to forgive me, but being out of the country for so long, I'm not familiar with your new foundation."

"It's the Lawrence Kratz Foundation. Its purpose is to assist recovering addicts and ex-cons by providing education, guidance, and financial assistance. We've already received substantial backing from many of the country's largest corporations and philanthropists. Nicole was originally going to take the helm, but as you can see by the crowd of people here today, she's become preoccupied with other things," Dad jokes.

"Well, it sounds like a fantastic cause, and another great way to give back," Jessica replies.

"I can't think of anybody better for the job."
"I have to second that," I add.
"So, what do you say, Jessica?" Dad asks. "Will you at least consider it? I could have my secretary send the details over to you tomorrow morning."

"Great. I'll give it some real thought," Jessica says.
"Take a few days to mull it over, if need be."
I leave Jessica and Dad to firm up the details and peek through

the curtain. I'm thrilled to see another outstanding turnout. When I take to the podium, the crowd breaks into a roaring chant of "Nicole for prez!"

From the second I take the stage, it feels as though my supporters and I are riding a giant wave of emotion together. When I look into their eyes, I can see their hearts. They're hurting, yearning for change, craving to be heard. They want a new direction. A new age.

I spend the next forty-five minutes telling them how I will deliver that.

Afterward, when I meet with my campaign team in the dressing room, their faces are sullen and the room is disturbingly silent. "I received the recent poll numbers just as you took the stage," says Beth. "It's not good, Nicole." She looks dejected. Though I'm not surprised, considering the PBA's turmoil in recent months, actually hearing the news hits me hard.

"There's no hiding from the truth. Let's hear the numbers, Beth," I say, trying my best not to display my worry.

"The MAA is leading us fifty-seven percent to thirty-two percent, with eleven percent undecided." This draws a collective gasp from the team. I need to take charge.

"People, we must remain positive. Sure, it's important that we heed what these numbers might tell us, but we can't let results such as these dampen our spirits to the point they hinder our efforts moving forward," I say firmly.

Seated to my right, Hunter begins dissecting the numbers. "The age factor really appears to be in play here," he says with a pained expression. "We're getting absolutely killed when it comes to the thirty-five and older demographic. On the other hand, we're completely dominating the other side of the spectrum."

"Look over here," says Beth, directing our attention to a flash- screen. Cryptic is interviewing famed civil attorney and long-time PBA supporter Gloria Lee.

"Are you surprised by the just-released polling numbers?" the robot asks, displaying the numbers on its chest.

"Absolutely not," Lee replies, glowering. "I'm actually surprised the PBA is as high as thirty-two percent. Nicole Kratz's campaign has been an outright disaster."

"Since you were one of the potential candidates who backed out once Ms. Kratz entered the picture, do you have any regrets?"

"Definitely," Lee says with a short nod. "I'm certain both Justice Malone and myself would have fared much better. In fact, I think there are loads of people who would have fared better."

"Do you think it's all this pandering to the youth of America that has set her back?" Cryptic asks.

"Actually, I think bringing some youthfulness to our government is a very valid and wise idea," says Lee.

"So when you refer to her campaign as being 'an outright disaster,' what is it you're referring to?"

"How she can stand in front of the American people and tell them it's her wish to free Anya Ahar... Well, it's extremely baffling and disturbing to me, as I know it is to most of my esteemed associates and the majority of the public."

"Do you feel she's letting her sympathy toward Anya cloud her judgment?"

"Certainly. I can't think of another reason why she'd feel so compassionate toward a young lady who displays such contempt for our country."