Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

The anger over the calculated murder of Gallio and Herta is evident at today's meeting at the New York Justice Center. Gil hears the muttering as he enters the operations room and moves to the front.

"I'd personally love to get my hands on the guy and tear him to shreds."

"Nick always had everybody's back. We owe it to him and to his family to make sure we bring this son of a bitch to justice."

"That's the goal, ladies and gentlemen," Gil says loudly, ending the chatter and drawing all eyes to him. "First we must focus on actually tracking him down. And remember, the goal is to capture him alive," he warns.

"It looks like it's too late for that," Martin Stevens, head of National Investigation, says. His eyes are on his flash-pad.

"What is it, Martin?" Gil asks.

"Rollins... he's dead. I'm being told he walked into Precinct Five and collapsed."

"Precinct Five. That's the area where his sisters were killed," Gil says.

"This guy certainly has a flare for the dramatic," someone calls out.

Gil holds up his hand, eyes still on Stevens. "Are they saying what caused him to collapse?"

"Apparently he took his own life with a styngor," Stevens answers. "Wait a second... I'm now being told that before he collapsed, he shouted out something really peculiar: 'This is the beginning of the end.'"

"This is the beginning of the end? What on God's earth is that supposed to mean?" Gil says.

In Washington, Westgale joins Robichaud's meeting via the World Connect.

"I ask that everyone except Agent Robichaud and Mr. Stevens please exit the room," Westgale orders calmly. Gil nods; he and Martin wait as the room empties.

"All clear now, Mr. President," Gil informs Westgale.

Westgale takes a deep breath and lets it out. "Gentlemen. Now that Kolton Rollins has taken his life, I need your expert and honest opinion." He pauses and takes another deep breath. "Do you think there's even the slightest chance my daughter's still alive?"

Gil hesitates, then admits, "Very slight at best. I'm sorry, sir."

"Martin?" Westgale says. "As a highly seasoned NI director, your experience is unmatched. I need you to be completely honest with me."

"To be blunt, Mr. President, considering the fact there's been no ransom demand whatsoever, I highly doubt your daughter is still alive," Stevens replies.

As if having expected to hear the worst, Westgale quickly moves to his next question. "I also need to know what you gentlemen make of what Rollins said before he died: 'This is the beginning of the end.'"

"Knowing he made that comment has left me uneasy, assuming he was involved with the Spirit of Hades," Stevens answers, glancing at the National Investigation report on the extremist group.

"It is a rather ominous comment, but then again, it could just be the final words of a mentally unstable person," Gil adds.

"I believe the most important thing here is to determine whether Rollins was working alone when he took Jessica. From what we know of SOH, we're looking at a highly financed and very sophisticated operation that was somehow able to disappear without us being able to figure out what and who the hell they are," Stevens says, eyes on his flash-pad.

"Where do we go from here?" the president asks.

"It's imperative we continue to find out every single thing imaginable about Kolton Rollins, and see where the trail leads us," Stevens replies with conviction.