xxxvi. gone for the head

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
avengers: infinity war

        EVERYONE LOOKED UP AT the sky as the wind picked up

        EVERYONE LOOKED UP AT the sky as the wind picked up. It felt...strange. Eerie, "Everyone, on my position. We have incoming." Steve said to everyone through the coms. Natasha, Sam, Luna, Okoye and T'Challa by his side.

"What the hell?" Natasha asked, and Bruce saw blue-black clouds appear just before Thanos stepped through.

"Cap. That's him." Bruce announced.

"Eyes up. Stay sharp." Steve told them all. Bruce reached the purple titan. But Thanos used the stone on him, half-burying him in the stone of the cliff behind him. Steve ran towards him, only to be thrown away.

T'Challa, armor fully charged, leaped high, claws extended, but was easily grabbed ny the throat. Thanos punched him to the ground, his armor discharging violently. Sam swooped in, firing both Steyr pistols, but was felled when his wings became rubbery, unable to sustain flight.

Rhodey joined the right, firing guns at Thanos, but the he used his gunalet to crush his armor around him, tossing him to the side. Bucky ran in, firing, but was punched away.

Okoye activates the vibranium-powered elements on her spear and flings it; Power stops it inches from Thanos, and throws her and it aside while wrapping the Natasha in unescapable bands of earth.

Luna ran up, but Thanos wrapped tree roots around her, holding her in place against the tree. Groot stabs his hands into the ground to wrap Thanos in cables of roots, which he breaks easily.

While all this was happening, Wanda was doing her best to destroy the stone inside Vision's head. She looked behind her back, and threw up both hands, using more magic to destroy the stone.

Steve slid under one blow and comes up swinging his deployed arm-shields, punching Thanos in the gut and chin. He grabs the gauntlet, keeping Thanos's fingers unclenched. Thanos looks very briefly impressed at Steve's efforts as he screams before slamming a fist into his head and rendering him insensible.

Wanda looks over her shoulder again and sees Thanos approaching unopposed. She swings her left hand around to fend him off with a stream of scarlet energy, and pushes him back despite his blue-purple energy shield, but then he starts to make slow headway.

"It's all right. It's all right. I love you." Vision told her softly. At those words, the yellow Mind Stone finally starts to crack. Vision's face is overcome by an expression of joyful peace, and as the crystal fragments completely, a pulse of pure yellow energy explodes from him, shuddering the trees for many meters around his epicenter. Wanda's and Thanos's energy subsides.