Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

After Cameron Pierce was arrested and the L&B Products building had been secured by his agents, Gil made his way by robo-copter to join Martin Stevens and his group at the Step 1 Health headquarters. "Do you think Nora was aware of any of this?" Gil asked Stevens when he arrived.

"She's claiming she was completely unaware any of this stuff was happening, but that's all we were able to get from her. The company's attorney has now advised her and all of her executives to avoid speaking with us," Stevens replied, his frustration clear in his voice.

"What about Cameron Pierce?" Gil asked.
"He has also heeded the attorney's advice," Stevens replied.

***

Tension hung heavy in the air of the Regal Show Room. "How could you?" Lawson shook his head in dismay. "How could you have held back the truth about that mineral? And then killed two innocent men in the process!" he shouted.

"Sadly, those men knew more than they needed to know. And as I'm sure you can recall, before the New Order Treaty was established that mountain would have been property of our wretched government, with no chance for anyone with half a brain to have prospered from it," Fryman answered calmly.

"You're pathetic!" Lawson growled.

"You have it all wrong, Lawson. I actually did both you and society a favor," Fryman answered with a grin. "Now, sure, if that information had been made available to the public all those years ago, I would have lost most of that precious money I put into your greedy hands. But there would have been far more for everyone to lose."

"What are you talking about?" Lawson snapped.
Fryman turned to Dirk. "Enlighten our friend, Dirk."
Dirk rose and began pacing, as if he were lecturing. "You see,

I've been studying that mineral for more than thirty years, and what that arrogant, self-worshipping Jack Ahar and his associates have discovered about it is only the tip of the iceberg. In time, as they continue their research, they will learn that that mineral has the power to turn the human body into an impenetrable shell againstevery serious illness known to man."

Lawson sputtered for a moment. "You're both psychopaths!" he yelled. Army pulled the gun closer to Lawson's body as a warning. "How much has he paid you to go along with this sick plan?" Lawson asked Dirk.

"Actually, this may come as a shock to someone as money- hungry as you, but my motivation was purely altruistic," Dirk replied, smiling.

"And I guess the manufacturing of illegal drugs has nothing to do with making money, does it?" Lawson retorted.

"Illegal? Those drugs are perfectly legal—in the HKM. I still laugh when I think of Edgar asking me to make them into green hearts. I remember him saying, 'Green is for money, and the heart shape is for my love of money,'" Dirk said in a gravelly voice, mimicking Fryman. Fryman snickered.

"You sick bastards," Lawson murmured.

"I'm sure most people would agree with you. But then again, you and most people wouldn't understand. When fully utilized, that mineral would increase the average life expectancy of human beings to approximately 120 years. Do you realize what that would mean? It wouldn't be a giant asteroid or a nuclear war bringing about man's demise. Oh no, mankind would meet its end from the chaos created by an uncontrollable mass of humanity!" Dirk said with feeling.

"It's a real shame we're having this very thought-provoking debate while the authorities are raiding your business," Fryman said matter-of-factly.

"You set me up! You rotten son of a bitch!" Lawson growled as he stood up, only to be pushed back down by Army, whose breathing was becoming heavier by the second.