Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

Several weeks had passed since Nicole Kratz's heroism had helped to thwart the attack planned by General Sims. President Westgale and his people were trying their best to restore order within the Freedom Home. But the stress of everything that had happened had taken its toll on Dr. Muller. "I'm so glad it was only a mild heart attack and that with some rest you're going to be fine, Charles," Westgale said during a visit to his hospital room.

"Yeah, but I'm the country's number one doctor; I'm not supposed to get sick," he replied, and they both chuckled.

"I'm just saddened that you'll be stepping down," Westgale said. "You've done such a wonderful job representing this country, Charles."

"Thank you, Mr. President. I'm glad that you and your executive committee recommended Jack to replace me. He's the best there is," Muller said with enthusiasm.

Three days later, after the Strategic Council officially voted in his favor, Dr. Jack Ahar was announced as America's inaugural Chief of Medicine and Science.

"I'm so honored, Mr. President," Jack said during a one-on-one meeting with Westgale following the announcement. The fact that you and your executive committee would consider me after I lied about the cause of LRS, not to mention after my daughter's indiscretions came to light... well, it really touches me," Ahar said.

"You lied because the life of your daughter was being threatened. I understand that, Jack. And as far as Anya herself is concerned, I think her story touched a lot of people, even with those indiscretions," Westgale replied. "While I have you here, there's a matter I need to discuss with you."

"I'm all ears, Mr. President," Ahar replied.

"Agricultural and Environmental Safety recently received a report from Professor Kinsley," Westgale began.

"Brilliant man. I think it was a very wise move on Beverley's part to bring on Kinsley as a consultant," Ahar said.

"Yes, I totally agree. Now, this has to do with some kind of mineral he and Heath Claremont recently discovered in Vexton County," Westgale said as he handed Ahar the report.

"Hmm... very interesting—and very mysterious," Ahar said as he perused the report. He looked up. "I'll perform an analysis immediately."

Colonel Mitchell Peters was also announced as the country's new interim defense director, replacing the soon-to-be-executed General Sims. "This is without doubt the greatest honor that has ever been bestowed upon me," Peters announced to the American people over the World Connect. "I pledge to honor, protect, and defend this country with my heart and soul."

Peters had his work cut out for him. Westgale and the rest of his Administration were on edge over news of recent political upheavals in Pinia, a country rich in natural resources. Of great interest to Westgale and his associates was Pinia's highly coveted fera-bean. Westgale expressed this during his first meeting with Colonel Peters in his new role. "The timing of this uprising could be disastrous. If Cobra Pix and his Iron Lotus take over Pinia, we'll never see those fera- beans," Westgale declared, scowling. He pounded his desk with a fist. "If this deal doesn't come to fruition there's no chance we'll meet the commission's deadline. And you know what that means, Mitchell."

The colonel wiped the sweat from his brow. "I'm sure Cobra Pix has calculated this entire thing. You can bet that long before we began talking to the Pinian government about fera-bean biofuel, he and his militia were preparing a complete takeover."

"All our reports indicate that that biofuel is the real deal. It's a game changer. There's never been anything like this here in America—or anywhere else, for that matter. We need to make this happen," Westgale said firmly.