Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Could it be? I kept asking myself as I gazed into the ether. For my entire life I'd refused to give credence to the notion that there was any truth to those old tales.

Foresee the night, the emergence of light. A trio of stars, glowing bright. Sanctuary from the spirits of doom. Healed by a gleam. Enlightened by truth. Reaching out to the angels above. Standing atop Moon Shade Bluff.

– The Book of ZeZ

"Heath, what happened to you?" Sharon asked as I reentered the house from the porch.

"Sorry, honey; I just needed a moment to digest the incredible news from Dr. Holt, and I guess I lost track of time," I replied. "It sure is a beautiful evening... We're truly blessed," I added, pulling Sharon close to me.

"How do you think Riley was cured, Uncle Heath?" asked a curious Kayla.

"Why don't you both sit down," I replied, indicating the sofa. While they got comfortable, I thought about how I'd say what I wanted to say.

"I'm sure you'll think I'm crazy," I began, then paused as they focused on me intently. Will they? I wondered nervously.No choice now but to continue. "I believe Riley was cured the night Wyatt and I brought him to Moon Shade Bluff to witness the Vexton Gleam." They now looked at me as if I was from another world.

"Oh, come on, Heath, you don't actually believe that... do you?" asked Sharon, though the hesitation in her voice suggested she may actually have been thinking the same thing.

"It's always been said that that mountain has magical powers, Aunt Sharon," said Kayla.

"Come to think of it... since that night, Riley hasn't had a single LRS episode," Sharon mused. "Well, I don't care how he was cured, I'm just thrilled that our beautiful little boy will no longer have to suffer." She looked at Riley's picture sitting on the living room mantel and smiled.

"Are you going to tell Riley how you think he was cured?" Kayla asked me.

"I think that would be far too overwhelming and confusing for him. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what happened," I replied.

The following morning when Riley awoke, we all gathered in the living room. "Hey Riles, we have some really amazing news for you," I said. I glanced over at Sharon and Kayla, who waited with eager expressions, anticipating how Riley would take the good news.

"Is Uncle Skip going to bring us to another Androids game?" Riley asked, his voice high with excitement.

"Actually, this is even better news than that," I replied.
"Are we going back to the Freedom Home?" Riley shouted.
I nodded toward Sharon, allowing her the opportunity to take

over. She opened her arms, and Riley came running to her. "You'll have plenty of chances to go see the Androids play again, and maybe someday we'll go back to the Freedom Home, but what we want to tell you means more to us than anything in the world."

"What is it, Mommy?"

"Last night Dr. Holt gave us some amazing news." Sharon blinked back the tears of joy that filled her eyes. I lifted a surreptitious finger and wiped away the tears filling my own eyes. "He told us—you no longer have LRS!"

Grinning, Riley immediately gave Sharon a big hug. Kayla and I stepped forward and joined in.

"I knew the angels would make me feel better," Riley exclaimed.

"Angels? What angels, Riley?" Kayla asked. We all looked at each other in amusement.

"The angels Mommy told me about. I pray to them every night," he said, smiling. "I ask them to make sure they take care of Grandpa Dennis, and Jumper. I guess they care about me, too."