Chapter 36: Separating from the Rohirrim

It was hours after we had left Rohan before we stopped to give the horses a rest. The sun had just begun to shine above the horizon. It was a beautiful sight, and I wished they had camera's in this world. 

"Pretty, isn't it lass?" Gimli's loud voice comes from behind me, as if reading my thoughts. 

"Aye. I haven't seen anything like it. Not even at home." The word home stung me. I did my best to ignore the wave of sadness that flowed through me. "But that isn't much of a surprise, since I'm normally asleep this time in the day."

The dwarf laughs, and I can barely make out the quiet chuckle from Legolas. Arod trots up even with me, and Legolas smiles. I turn my gaze forward, trying not to blush. What's wrong with me? I can't even look at that stupid elf without blushing.

I curse under my breath. I have to stay calm... "Hailey?" Merry's small voice echoes through my mind, bringing me back to conciousness.

"What?" I ask.

"You're mumbling to yourself..." The hobbit mutters. 

"I am?" I feel the heat rush back into my face. "What did I... say?"

"I don't know." Merry replies, "I just thought you should know." 

I nod my head, "Thanks..." God, I am an idiot.

I don't talk much the rest of the day, mostly listening to the conversations that were going on around me. I felt symapathy for Aragorn, for Eowyn wouldn't shut up when she was around him. Whenever we stopped somewhere to rally more troops, she would talk about how she "always wanted to come here" and blab about anything that came to her mind. It was really quite annoying.

We had just left a small village when I hear Merry complain for the first time since we began this journey. "I am no tree-root, nor some bag to be discarded. I am a but a bruised hobbit. The least Theoden can do is tell us where we are heading."

"Theoden King." A voice cried from behind us. I turn my horse around, looking straight into a small group of Wildmen. "My Lords send word that you must set yourselves in readiness. We, yuor enemy are coming. Have you not heard our drums in the distance?"

"Elfhelm." Legolas spits. I look at him as he shoots a glare at the wildman. "Elfhelm the Marshal." He turns towards me, feeling my gaze. "Stay away from that evil man, incase he wants to linger here. He cannot be trusted." 

I turn my attention to the Wildman. Merry raises his voice, "The enemy is calling then?" He calls, "I had thought I had been imagining the weak sound of drums. Has no one else taken notice of them?"

As people shake their heads, Aragorn replies to the hobbit, "Nay, Master Meriadoc. I haven't heard any drums. We shall not worry about this 'approaching enemy'." He looks at Theoden, "Unless the King wishes it." 

Theoden shakes his head. "Disregard their foul comments, soldiers!" He voice echoes throught the land, and I'm positive everybody can hear him. We had gathered about a thousand more men, with more still to come. "Kill these naysayers and we shall continue our journey with peace."

                                                                * * * * * * * 

We stop at night fall, in a sort of valley thing, infront of a erie looking trench. It was making the horses restless, and me, for the record. 

"Hailey?" Merry whispers, tapping me on the shoulder. "What is that?" 

I shake my head, "I'm not sure Merry." 

"That is the path that leads to Dwimorberg." Aragorns voice comes from behind us. "It is a haunted place, none have come out of there alive."

I look back at the path. A green haze starts to form into the shape of... a man? The ghost person smiles at me, not very kindly. More like a grin of pure evil, or even death if that was possible.