Chapter 19: Rohan

With a combination of Legolas's eyesight, and Aragorns to-good-to-be-true tracking skills, we persue the uruk-hai trail. Each day, we were closer to saving the hobbits. 

We to a quick rest, as Aragorn started to listen to the footsteps of the kidnappers. He stands up, brushing off his pants, "They must have caught our scent. Their pace has quickened." 

Legolas runs up to where Aragorn and I were standing, "Come on, Gimli! We are catching them." 

I laugh, seeing Gimli run up the hill. "Three nights pursuit. No food, no water, and no sign of our quarry but what the bare rock can tell. This is no way to live." 

"But, Gimli son of Gloin, we are gaining on them." I call to the dwarf.

Legolas stands next to me, "Yes, they may yet still be alive. Come on Gimli!" 

Gimli finally catches up to us, right as Aragorn say, "We must go now." running off. Gimli groans, and I turn, running after Aragorn. Legolas does the same shortly after I leave. 

I hear Gimli shout from behind us, "I am wasted on cross country," I hear him shout, "We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances. Keep that in mind, ya elvish princeling." 

I hear Legolas laugh, and catch up to me. "He would run faster, if he kept his trap shut." I laugh, nodding my head in agreeement. Suddenly, he gasps, running past me, and closer towards Aragorn. "Aragorn!" he calls, "I can see them!! Probably a day or two ahead of us." 

We keep running, until Aragorn suddenly stops. "Welcome to Rohan, home of the horse lords." He sighs, "Something evil gives these creatures great speed and endurance, setting their will against us." He turns to Legolas. "Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?"

I turn, and see Legolas staring ahead of us. "The Uruks have turned northeast. They are taking the hobbits to Isengard!!" 

Aragorn clenches his fists, "Saruman." He spits, then continues running. 

Gimli sighs, "Keep breathin' thats the key. Keep breathing." 

Legolas shakes his head, looking at me, "They run as if the very whips of their masters is behind them!" I scowl, looking a head to where our friends were being held captive, Hang in there, Peregrin, Meridoc. Hang in there. 

~PEREGRIN'S POV~

It is nightfall when they set Merry and I down. I inch over there as best I can with my hands down, "How ya doin' Merry? Merry?"

To my relief, I see Merry roll over, and face me. "I think me might have made a mistake, leavin' the Shire. Your thoughts, Pippen?"

I don't have time to respond before a strange groaning comes from the forest. "What was that, Merry?"

He looks at me, "I.... I think it was the trees, Pip.  Do you remember the old forest, on the borders of Buckland? Well, folks used to say that there was somethin' in the water that makes the forests grow tall and come alive." 

I'm confused by this, "Alive?"

Merry nods, "They were supposedly trees that could whisper, talk to eachother, and even move.... I wonder if these trees are like that too." 

Our conversation about living trees is cut short by the orcs loud conversation. "I'm starvin'. We haven't had anyhting but old maggotty bread for three stinkin' days!!" 

"Yeahh, why can't we have some meat?" a second orc chimes in. He turns, looking at us. "What about them? Their..... fresh."

The lead orc shakes his head, "Get back! Master says that they ain't for eatin'."