Chapter 25: The Brink of War

After a restless nights sleep, I walk out of my room and into chaos. There are men, both young and old carrying swords, and getting armor for themselves. I hear the clashing of swords, and I turn towards the noise. A young boy, probably around fourteen, was sparring with.... Aragorn? 

I stare at the familiar figure, shocked. "A-aragon?" I studder, coming closer.

He turns, and smiles. "Hello Hailey. Legolas told me what happened after the battle. I told him to let you sleep in. It is probably..." he thinks for a moment, looking up in the sky, "near one-o-clock." He turns back to me, and smiles. "You'd better get ready for war. The orcs aren't far away." 

I stared at him, not moving, "You.... you fell. I-I saw you..." I trail off, still confused.

He walks towards me, and gives me a hug. "I'll tell you when this is over." He steps back, and claps me on the shoulder, "Now go. You need to get ready."

I turn around, and start heading to the armory. I see Legolas look behind me at Aragorn with... jealousy? I walk passed him, with my head down, trying to pass unseen. 

But Gimli ruins my stealth mode. He walks out and says, quite loudly, "Aye, Lass! Glad to see ya. We're on the edge of a battle." He laughs, "ARGG, let the best man, uhm... women, win! Same with you, elvish princling!" Gimli laughs some more, and walks away. 

Legolas, now with his attention drawn this way, sees me. I laugh at Gimli, and quickly turn and try to get into the armory before he could catch up to me. But, being me, I have no such luck. 

"Hailey," Legolas catches me by my shoulder, and turns me around, "Are you alright? After what happened yesterday I-" 

I flash a quick smile, "I'm alright, Legolas. I have to uh," I think of a way to escape him, "get ready for the war, you know."

He looks down, "Um, yeah. About that..." He looks at the ground, his mouth drawn into a hard line, "Will you go into the caves? With the other women and children?"

"No." I turn around, and keep walking.

"Please. Hailey, please." he stops, as if he is thinking. "Eowyn, she's going to. Into the caves, I mean. She will need help keeping the others calm. Please." he sounds so desperate.

I feign my annoyance. "Fine. Just this once. For Eowyns sake." I lie. I turn around to avoid any more questions or comments. I feel his gaze bore through my back. I'm sorry Legolas. I have to fight. I think of methods to get myself into the war without him seeing, but it's hard. He is always near, or within earshot, of me... I think grimly. If only he couldn't stop me. If only I was able to distract him somehow, divert his attention from me for.... twenty or so minutes. 

I sigh, and start to sharpen my sword. Legolas comes up from behind me as I start to sharpen your sword. "I thought you said that-" 

"And I tend to keep my word, Prince." I hold my dagger up to his neck, "I'm just taking some.... precautions, if you will allow it." I let the sarcasm drip from my words.

"I'm sorry if I made you upset, Lady, but I don't want to have to sacrafice another member of our fellowship." he turns, and walks away.

"So you don't think I can live?" I call after him. He pauses, and starts to turn around. I am about to add on, when he changes his mind, and quietly exits the armoury. "I'll show him, that stupid elf." I spit under my breath.

I finish sharpening my sword, fill my quiver with arrows, and leave. I run up to my room, and I find Eowyn sitting on my bed, organizing something. "What are you doing in here?" I ask, a little on edge from her sudden presence.